Finding the mass of stars that evolved away.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mass of stars that have evolved away from the main sequence to form red giants in the Pleiades open cluster. The question is whether a relationship between mass and lifetime needs to be derived or if there are common formulas available. A link is provided for further assistance and the conversation ends with a question about the need for a luminosity value and the knowledge of the temperature and mass of the sun to normalize the given relationship.
Toad
If the stars in the Pleiades open cluster are about 100*10^6 years old, how do I find the mass of the stars that evolved away from the main sequence to form red giants? Any suggestions or comments are welcome!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Toad said:
If the stars in the Pleiades open cluster are about 100*10^6 years old, how do I find the mass of the stars that evolved away from the main sequence to form red giants? Any suggestions or comments are welcome!

What are you working from? Do they expect you to derive a relationship between mass and lifetime or just to know it?

SpaceTiger said:
What are you working from? Do they expect you to derive a relationship between mass and lifetime or just to know it?
The information I posted above is all I've been given. If there are common formulas for this available, I suppose I don't need to derive them.

Thanks!

Toad said:
The information I posted above is all I've been given. If there are common formulas for this available, I suppose I don't need to derive them.

See if this page helps:

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/astronomy/MainSequence.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that page. Is there some way to relate the age of the star to its luminosity? Do I need to do that?

Thanks!

Toad said:
Thanks for that page. Is there some way to relate the age of the star to its luminosity? Do I need to do that?

Does the problem ask for a luminosity?

Do yiou know how to normalize the relation I gave -- that is, do you know the temperature and mass of the sun?

1. How do you measure the mass of stars that have evolved away?

The mass of stars that have evolved away can be measured through a variety of methods, including studying their luminosity, velocity, and spectral features. These measurements can provide valuable information about a star's mass and evolutionary stage.

2. What impact does a star's mass have on its evolution?

A star's mass is a crucial factor in determining its evolution. Higher mass stars burn through their fuel more quickly and end their lives in spectacular supernova explosions, while lower mass stars can live for billions of years and eventually fade into white dwarfs.

3. Can you determine the mass of a star based on its appearance?

No, it is not possible to accurately determine the mass of a star based on its appearance alone. The size, color, and brightness of a star can give some indication of its mass, but other factors such as age, composition, and distance must also be taken into account.

4. How does the mass of a star affect its habitability?

The mass of a star plays a significant role in determining the habitability of its planetary system. Higher mass stars emit more intense radiation, making it difficult for planets to maintain stable atmospheres. Lower mass stars, on the other hand, may not provide enough energy for planets to sustain liquid water on their surfaces.

5. Can the mass of a star change during its evolution?

Yes, the mass of a star can change during its evolution through processes such as mass loss due to stellar winds or accretion from a companion star. This can affect the star's evolution and eventual fate, making it important to accurately measure the mass at different stages of a star's life.