Modelling with polynomials

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle's movement according to a specific rule and asks for its initial position and the time it passes through the origin. To determine the time, the equation x(t)=0 needs to be solved within the given domain.
anzgurl
5 A particle moves horizontally in a straight line according to the rule
x(t) = t^3 − 5t^2 + 3t − 5, 0 ≤ t ≤ 7
where x metres is its displacement to the right of the origin at time t seconds.
a What is the initial position of the particle?
b After how many seconds does the particle pass through the origin, correct to 2 decimal
places?

i need help on part b. could some one help me please?
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
When it passes the origin, the displacement is 0 right? Therefore, you could say that x(t)=0 when it passes the origin. So just find the root of the equation that suits the given domain.

for your question. Let me provide a response to your query about the particle's motion.

a) The initial position of the particle can be found by plugging in t=0 into the given equation:
x(0) = 0^3 - 5(0)^2 + 3(0) - 5 = -5
Therefore, the initial position of the particle is -5 metres to the right of the origin.

b) To find the time at which the particle passes through the origin, we need to set x(t) = 0 and solve for t:
0 = t^3 - 5t^2 + 3t - 5
We can use a graphing calculator or a polynomial solver to find the roots of this equation. The roots are t ≈ 1.28, t ≈ 3.16, and t ≈ 4.56. However, we are only concerned with the time when the particle passes through the origin, which is t ≈ 1.28 seconds (since it is the only positive root).

Therefore, after 1.28 seconds, the particle will pass through the origin. We can round this to 2 decimal places to get the final answer of 1.28 seconds.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What are polynomials?

Polynomials are mathematical expressions that involve variables and coefficients, which are combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication. They are typically written in the form of ax^n + bx^(n-1) + ... + c, where a, b, and c are constants and n is a non-negative integer.

2. How are polynomials used in modelling?

Polynomials are commonly used in modelling to represent relationships between variables in real-world situations. They can be used to approximate complex relationships and make predictions about the behavior of a system or process.

3. What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent of the variable in the expression. For example, the polynomial 2x^3 + 5x^2 + 3x + 1 has a degree of 3, since the highest exponent of x is 3.

4. How do you solve polynomial equations?

To solve a polynomial equation, you must first set the equation equal to 0 and then use algebraic methods to factor the expression into simpler terms. This will allow you to find the values of the variable that make the equation true.

5. Can polynomials be used to model nonlinear relationships?

Yes, polynomials can be used to model nonlinear relationships. By including higher degree terms in the polynomial expression, the curve becomes more complex and can better approximate nonlinear relationships between variables.