Finding Pathways from A to B: Strategies for Test Prep

• Thread starter dontdisturbmycircles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the conversation is about a student studying for a test and seeking help with a problem involving finding the number of ways to get from point A to point B, with a "pond" in the middle and pathways on all sides. The student initially tries using permutations but realizes it is not an effective strategy for this scenario. They ultimately conclude that the best approach is to add up the number of ways to get to each point and then repeat the process. It is also noted that the number of possible paths is infinite unless there are restrictions on movement.
dontdisturbmycircles

Homework Statement

I am studying for a test on Monday,

I am making myself problems and I don't know how to do this one.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/8076/pathwayhf7.jpg

How many ways are there to get from A to B?

The middle is a "pond" and there are pathways on all sides of the pond.

Homework Equations

I ussually do these with permutations, for example of there is a grid in which you have to travel down 8 and right 5 I find out how many distinct permutations there are of DDDDDDDDRRRRR and that is the answer. Of course this only works for simple pathway problems and is useless in this scenario.

I know that I will be facing problems like this on my test so I need a better strategy, can someone help me find one?

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I think that the best way to tackle these is just to add up the number of ways of getting to each point and then use that to derive the number of ways to get to the next point. Then just rinse and repeat.

dontdisturbmycircles said:
Nevermind, I think that the best way to tackle these is just to add up the number of ways of getting to each point and then use that to derive the number of ways to get to the next point. Then just rinse and repeat.

That's about as good as it gets, in the general case.

Unless there are some restrictions on how you move, the number of paths is infinite, since you can go round a closed loop any number of times. In your "permutations of DDDDDDDDRRRRR" example you seem to be assuming you can only move down and right.

What is "Finding Pathways from A to B: Strategies for Test Prep"?

"Finding Pathways from A to B: Strategies for Test Prep" is a book that provides tips and techniques for effectively preparing for tests and exams. It offers strategies for managing time, reducing test anxiety, and improving study habits.

Who is the book for?

The book is for anyone who needs to prepare for tests and exams, whether they are students, professionals, or individuals looking to improve their test-taking skills.

What makes this book different from other test prep resources?

This book takes a unique approach by focusing on finding pathways from point A (where a person is currently at in terms of their test-taking skills) to point B (where they want to be in terms of their test performance). It also offers practical strategies that can be easily implemented, rather than just theoretical advice.

Are the strategies in the book effective for all types of tests?

While the strategies in the book are generally applicable to most tests, they may need to be adapted for specific types of tests, such as multiple-choice, essay-based, or standardized exams. The book provides tips on how to customize the strategies for different types of tests.

Is this book based on scientific research?

Yes, the strategies in this book are based on scientific research on effective study habits and test-taking techniques. The author, a scientist and educator, has also incorporated personal experiences and insights from students and professionals into the book.