Is space infinitely divisible?

• Thread starter ktoz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary: Mentz, a physicist at the University of Utah, conducted an experiment in which he fired photons at a detector from all points on a geodesic sphere that had extremely fine tesselation (on the order of an atom between points). If space is infinitely divisible then no matter how far the photon source is from the detector, the time would always be the same for a given radius. This is a very wriggly can of worms. Extrapolating from quantum physics, it is believed there is a smallest length, time and energy. But at these scales space-time is not as we know it. Experiments are out of the question with our current technology because of the factor of about 10^30 btween the
ktoz
I've been pondering the measurement of distance and how it is affected by relativity and was wondering if there is some general consensus on whether spacetime is infinitely divisible?

I spent a few hours Googling but didn't come across any definitive statements either way.

I came up with the following experiment which could conceivably answer the question but find my limited knowledge isn't getting me any closer.

If you have a photon source and a photon detector and systematically fire individual photons at the detector from all points on a geodesic sphere with extremely fine tesselation (on the order of an atom between points) could there conceivably be some radius where light took longer to travel along a given vector than other vectors?

If there is a limit to how finely space can be divided then at some point, there should be a time difference because light would have to hop from node to node of the underlying structure of space and some vectors would have more nodes to hop.

If space is infinitely divisible then no matter how far the photon source is from the detector, the time would always be the same for a given radius.

Anyone care to hazard a guess?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a very wriggly can of worms. Extrapolating from quantum physics, it is believed there is a smallest length, time and energy. But at these scales space-time is not as we know it. Experiments are out of the question with our current technology because of the factor of about 10^30 btween the Planck scale and the nuclear scale.

Do a Google on 'Planck length', 'Planck time' and 'space-time foam'.

M

Last edited:
Mentz114 said:
Experiments are out of the question with our current technology because of the factor of about 10^30 btween the Planck scale and the nuclear scale.

Just to get some perspective on the 10^30 scale difference, I did a calculation and unless I messed up, that's like comparing a volume 1/50 the radius of this period ->.<- with the Earth. Yikes! That is small.

Thanks for the search terms Mentz114

Ken

1. Is space infinitely divisible?

The answer to this question is still unknown and is a topic of ongoing research in the field of physics. Some theories, such as string theory, suggest that space is infinitely divisible, while others propose a minimum unit of space called the Planck length.

2. What does it mean for space to be infinitely divisible?

If space is infinitely divisible, it means that there is no limit to how small a space can be divided. This concept challenges the idea that there is a smallest possible unit of space, as it suggests that space can be divided into infinitely smaller units.

3. How can we measure the divisibility of space?

Currently, there is no way to directly measure the divisibility of space. However, scientists can study the behavior of matter and energy at very small scales to gather evidence about the nature of space and its divisibility.

4. Can we observe the infinitesimal divisions of space?

No, it is not possible to observe infinitesimal divisions of space with our current technology. The smallest unit of space that we can currently observe is the Planck length, which is about 1.6 x 10^-35 meters.

5. Why is understanding the divisibility of space important?

Understanding the divisibility of space is important because it can provide insight into the fundamental nature of the universe and help us better understand the laws of physics. It can also have implications for theories such as the Big Bang and the existence of other dimensions.