Material Energy Balance / Thermodynamics Question

In summary, the conversation is about a problem in a thermodynamics class where a 10.0 m^3 tank containing steam at 275°C and 15.0 bar is cooled until the pressure drops to 1.2 bar. The goal is to find the amount of heat transferred, the final temperature of the tank contents, and the amount of steam condensed. The conversation discusses using an energy balance to find the heat transferred and using steam tables to find the final temperature. It also mentions using the ideal gas law and the latent heat of vaporization to find the amount of steam condensed.
twiztidmxcn
I have this problem as a homework question for my MEB/Thermodynamics class and have been having some trouble with it.

A 10.0 m^3 tank contains steam at 275°C and 15.0 bar. The tank and its contents are cooled until the pressure drops to 1.2 bar. Some of the steam condenses in the process.

a) How much heat was transferred from the tank?
b) What is the final temperature of the tank contents?
c) How much steam condensed (kg)?

I started by doing the energy balance on the closed, transient system:

mi(hi+v2/2+gzi) - mo(ho+v2/2+gzo) + Q + W = ∆U

where v2 = v^2, i is subscript in, o is subscript out

Since the system is closed, mi = mo = 0, Ep = 0 (no height change), Ek = 0 (no movement), W = 0 (no work)

So I'm left with Q = ∆U = U2 - U1

I assume for part A that I am looking for Q, the heat transferred.

I started out knowing that at 275 C and 15 bar, we have a superheated steam. So using steam tables, I interpolated a value for U1 being 2739.25 kJ/kg.

My problem is with finding U2. Using the pressure of 1.2 bars, I used steam tables to find a value for U2, but since the tank's final contents are both steam and liquid, I am not quite sure which value to use.

In any case, U2 for liquid water is 439.2 kJ/kg and U2 for steam is 2512.1 kJ/kg.

Pretty much, I need to find out how to use this information to get a reasonable value and find the heat transferred.

As for B and C...any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Any help at all is appreciated (as usual)

Much thanks
-twiztidmxcn

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok. For the first part, since you have the pressure, volume and temperature, you can find the moles of steam using pv=nrt. Next, you know final pressure, final volume, but not the final moles or temperature.

Lets assume n1 moles were condensed during the process. If the latent heat of vapourisation is x per mol, then the total heat taken away from the system is n1*x=dQ. Since dQ=dU, then [tex]U_i=nfRt_i/2, U_f=n'fRt_f/2, dU=\frac{fR}{2}(nt_i-n't_f[/tex] and n=n1+n'.
Where f is the degree of freedom of steam.

Two variables and two equations, solve for them and you have final temperature and number of moles condensed. From there the final part is easy.

Woah...I'll take a look at it and get back if I need any more help

1. What is material energy balance?

Material energy balance is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics that describes the conservation of matter and energy within a system. It states that the total amount of matter and energy entering a system must be equal to the total amount leaving the system, taking into account any changes in the system's internal energy.

2. Why is material energy balance important?

Material energy balance is important because it allows us to understand and quantify the flow of matter and energy within a system. This is crucial for many industries, such as chemical engineering and environmental science, as it helps to optimize processes and ensure sustainability.

3. How is material energy balance applied in real-world scenarios?

Material energy balance is applied in various real-world scenarios, such as in chemical reactions, power plants, and environmental systems. In chemical reactions, it is used to calculate the amounts of reactants and products needed and produced. In power plants, it is used to optimize energy efficiency. In environmental systems, it is used to track the movement of pollutants and their impact on ecosystems.

4. What are the key components of material energy balance?

The key components of material energy balance are the mass balance and the energy balance. The mass balance is based on the principle of conservation of mass, while the energy balance is based on the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted.

5. What are some common challenges in solving material energy balance problems?

Some common challenges in solving material energy balance problems include accurately defining the system boundaries, properly accounting for all inputs and outputs, and dealing with complex systems that involve multiple reactions and energy transfers. Additionally, data accuracy and measurement errors can also pose challenges in solving material energy balance problems.