Differential equations - linear dependency

In summary: That is, if the only solution tok_1 f_1(x)+ k_2 f_2(x)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot + k_n f_n(x)= 0is k1= k2= \cdot\cdot\cdot= kn= 0, then the functions are independent.In summary, the functions y1(t) = t^2 and y2(t) = t|t| are linearly dependent on the interval 0<=t<=1 since their Wronskian is identically zero. They are also linearly independent on the interval -1<=t<=1 since their Wronskian is not equal to zero for all values of t. This is shown
braindead101
Let y1(t) = t^2 and y2(t) = t|t|
(a) Show that y1 and y2 are linearly dependent on the interval 0<=t<=1.
(b) Show that y1 and y2 are linearly independent on the interval -1<=t<=1.
(c) Show that the Wronskian W[y1,y2] is identically zero.

My attempt:
(a) So I know that if the Wronskian is zero, then y1 and y2 are linearly dependent. So i worked out the wronskian and i got
w[y1,y2](t) = t^3 - t^2|t|
I'm not sure how to show that it is linearly dependent on the interval. should i substitute in the intervals 0 and 1 and find that they are equal to zero? what about everything inbetween 0 and 1?

(b) So for linearly independence, wronskian doesn't equal zero, again i have the same question of whether i substitute in the interval, and what do i do with the numbers inbetween, i am unsure how to prove this.

(c) i have no idea what identically zero means, can someone explain this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that all the information they gave you? Did they give you a differential equation for the solutions?

yes, this is all. and i think i have solved (c). i did the wronskian wrong in (a), when i did it again , i got exactly 0, and i guess this is what (c) is asking.

but for (a) and (b), can i just show that for dependence, y1 = k y2, k should exist, and for independence, k should not exist? is that sufficient.

If t is non-negative, as it is on [0, 1], then t|t|= t2. The two functions you give are not "independent", they are exactly the same!

"Identically zero" means equal to 0 for all values of t.

but for (a) and (b), can i just show that for dependence, y1 = k y2, k should exist, and for independence, k should not exist? is that sufficient.
For two functions, yes, but for more than two you will need to use the general definition of independence: If
[tex]k_1 f_1(x)+ k_2 f_2(x)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot + k_n f_n(x)= 0[/tex]
for all x with an least one ki not equal to 0, then the functions are dependent.

1. What is the definition of linear dependency in differential equations?

Linear dependency in differential equations refers to the relationship between two or more functions where one function can be expressed as a linear combination of the others. In other words, one function can be written as a multiple of another function. This is a common occurrence in systems of differential equations.

2. How does linear dependency affect the solution of a system of differential equations?

Linear dependency can greatly impact the solution of a system of differential equations. In some cases, it can lead to an infinite number of solutions, making it difficult to find a unique solution. It can also cause instability and inaccuracies in the solution process, making it important to identify and handle linear dependency carefully.

3. Can linearly dependent functions be used as a basis for a solution space?

No, linearly dependent functions cannot be used as a basis for a solution space. This is because if one function can be expressed as a multiple of another, it does not add any new information to the solution space. Only linearly independent functions can be used as a basis for a solution space.

4. How can linear dependency be identified in a system of differential equations?

Linear dependency can be identified by observing the coefficients of the functions in the system of differential equations. If the coefficients are proportional, then the functions are linearly dependent. Another way to identify linear dependency is by solving the system of equations and checking for a repeated solution.

5. Is it possible to have linearly dependent functions in a differential equation with constant coefficients?

Yes, it is possible to have linearly dependent functions in a differential equation with constant coefficients. This can occur when the differential equation has repeated roots or when the coefficients are not distinct. It is important to handle linear dependency in these cases to avoid errors in the solution process.