Water pumping in tall buildings ?

• Thread starter Cliff_J
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an express elevator system similar to the WTC for pumping water to great heights in tall buildings. This would involve pumping water in stages and using check valves to avoid excessive pressure on the pipes. The same concept is also used in deep mines. The dangers and accomplishments of mining are also mentioned.
Cliff_J
Science Advisor
Ok, read the solar tower stuff in a couple threads here, and the complexity of pumping water to great heights in terms of pumping losses and pipe requirements surpized me. So, thinking about the skyscraper express elevator/floor elevator setup like the WTC had seems applicable to water.

Obviously we can calculate (and govt regulated) on how much pressure and piping we need to pump water a given amount, say 40 stories but to get to 80 or 120 stories, our requirements would normally change by some square or cube factor. But what if like the express elevator the orignal 40 stories pumped into a collection pool, and then we repumped the next 40 stories and so on. Would our original 40 story requirements be sufficient for each additional 40 story step?

Sure our efficiency is lower since we have so many repetitive pumping steps, but leaving that aside wouldn't this lower the piping requirements tremendously and also have some small efficiency recovery in the lower pumping pressures needed?

Cliff

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes. this is one way to overcome the tremendous water pressure of tall buildings. Everytime there is an air break, the pressure requirements are renewed, so the only static head is from the water directly above to the next pool above. This solves the pressure restrictions on the piping and pumps, however, it will still require as much or more horsepower to lift the amount of water required to the top of the tower.

You can just put a pump inline every 40 stories, or whatever. There really isn't much need for a collection pool unless you need one for efficiency/pressure reasons.

This type of problem is much more interesting in deep mines where the height difference (and consequences of failure) can be a good lot more spectacular. Some mines are more than a mile deep, which is a good sight more height difference than buildings provide.

Ok, so an inline pump accomplishes the same because its all about the pressure gain from the pump that could be designed so each pump/pipe only supports a column of water X feet tall then. And here I thought fluid mechanics was tough...

Yes, the mine thing is quite amazing, and I forgot that mining was the impetus for steam engines and horsepower and what not. Astoundingly, I can't believe what was accomplished before the 20th century's knowledge and technology expansions. And the danger level is unreal to me - one of the History channel shows on man-made disasters showed footage of a salt mine under a lake that was accidentally drilled by an oil company. Wow!

Cliff

Actually, it's the check valves on the pump discharges that allow this arrangement to work. Otherwise, should the intermediate pumps be off for some reason the full static pressure of the column of water would rest on the bottom pump and pipe system.

1. How does water get pumped to the top of a tall building?

Water is pumped to the top of a tall building using a system of pipes and pumps. The pumps are typically located in the basement or on a lower floor of the building and they use electricity to push the water up to higher levels.

2. What type of pumps are used for water pumping in tall buildings?

The most common type of pumps used for water pumping in tall buildings are centrifugal pumps. These pumps use a spinning impeller to create centrifugal force, which pushes the water up through the pipes.

3. How do you ensure water pressure is maintained in a tall building?

To maintain water pressure in a tall building, the pumps must be powerful enough to overcome the pressure created by the height of the building. Additionally, pressure regulators and valves are often used to control the flow of water and maintain a consistent pressure throughout the building.

4. Can the height of a building affect the water pressure?

Yes, the height of a building can greatly affect the water pressure. The higher the building, the more pressure is needed to push the water to the top. This is why taller buildings require more powerful pumps and pressure regulators to maintain adequate water pressure.

5. What happens if the pumps fail in a tall building?

If the pumps fail in a tall building, the water pressure will decrease and eventually the water will stop flowing to the upper levels. This can cause inconvenience for residents and may also lead to potential safety hazards if the building relies on water for fire protection.