Reduce the volume of aluminumm by 10%

• Thread starter iceman_ch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of at what ocean depth the volume of an aluminum sphere would be reduced by 0.10%, and the use of the bulk modulus to calculate this depth. The conversation also mentions the importance of using the correct density of sea water in the calculation.
iceman_ch

Homework Statement

At what ocean depth would the volume of an aluminum sphere be reduced by 0.10%?

Homework Equations

P=pgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to get pressure at differnt depths. But what I don't know is how much pressure it takes to reduce the volume of aluminum. I can't find a table for it anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is a little hard to find. The number you are after is actually called a bulk modulus for aluminum. Try searching for that.

BTW, I'm also glad you aren't really trying to reduce it by 10%. Only 0.10%. Whew.

thank you for pointing that out. I actually thought it was 10%. This whole I was thinking wow that has to be really deap.

I found the bulk modulus in 2 places. I found it at wikipedia and the book. I used the books which was 7x10^10. The books density for water is 1000. So when I take the modulus and multiply it be .001 then I take that answer and divide it by 1000 for the density and then by 9.8 for acceleration. That shoul leave me with height. It is was 7.142 Km. This answer is incorrect. To me it seems right but the homwork says it is 6.98. Why was my first answer wrong?

have you tried using density of sea water? thas should reduce the result by about 2.5 to 3 percent.

Last edited:
That must be what it is. I just used water.

1. How do you reduce the volume of aluminum by 10%?

There are several methods for reducing the volume of aluminum by 10%. One common method is through hot or cold rolling, where the aluminum is passed through rollers to compress and decrease its volume.

2. Why would you want to reduce the volume of aluminum by 10%?

Reducing the volume of aluminum can make it more compact and easier to transport. It can also improve its strength and durability for certain applications.

3. What are the potential challenges in reducing the volume of aluminum by 10%?

One challenge in reducing the volume of aluminum is maintaining its desired properties, such as ductility and corrosion resistance. Another challenge is finding the most efficient method that will not compromise the quality of the aluminum.

4. Can the volume of aluminum be reduced by more than 10%?

Yes, the volume of aluminum can be reduced by more than 10%, depending on the method and desired outcome. However, it is important to consider the potential trade-offs and effects on the properties of the aluminum.

5. Is it possible to reduce the volume of aluminum without using mechanical methods?

Yes, it is possible to reduce the volume of aluminum using other methods such as chemical etching or electrochemical processes. However, these methods may have limitations and may not be suitable for all types of aluminum.