Charge of Proton & Electron: Explained

In summary, elementary particles are determined by their symmetry group, and they have two different electric charges due to their different representations under this symmetry group.
stochastic
What makes and gives a proton a postive charge and an electron a negative charge?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure of your question... If your asking why is a proton "positive" and an electron "negative", it is because we named them that because of the way the two types of charges seem to cancel each other out. We could have just as easily called a proton negative and an electron positive and we would get the same results.

If you are asking why do protons and electrons have charge in the first place, I don't think anyone has an answer to this question. As far as we know, it is just the way nature happens to be.

their instrinct properties I guess, well the proton is considered to be build of quarks which carries charges in fracions of 3. But as GO1 wrote, it is just they way nature is.

thanks for the help! :)

stochastic said:
What makes and gives a proton a positive charge and an electron a negative charge?
It's still not clear whether you were asking about the origin of charge itself,
or just why proton is +1 and electron is -1. I'll assume the former, since that
question is more interesting... :wink:

All intrinsic properties of elementary particles have their origin in how
they transform under certain symmetry groups. In the case of electromagnetism,
the group is U(1), i.e: multiplication by a phase factor exp(i theta). For this
group, there are 2 inequivalent representations: you can multiply by
exp(i theta), or by its complex conjugate exp(-i theta). Elementary particles
can be classified by how they transform under such symmetry groups, i.e:
the Poincare group of special relativity, and certain internal symmetry
groups - of which electromagnetic U(1) is just one. The number of different
inequivalent representations of these groups determines how many different
charges there are. In the case of U(1), there are two inequivalent
representations as I mentioned above, and this manifests in nature as
two different electric charges.

The question of whether all this is genuinely "explanatory" or merely
"descriptive" is debatable - but I still think it's interesting, and the whole
group theoretic approach to elementary particles has been stunningly
successful over the past 50-60 years.

1. What is the charge of a proton?

The charge of a proton is positive and equal to +1.602 x 10^-19 Coulombs. This is the fundamental unit of charge in the International System of Units (SI).

2. How was the charge of a proton determined?

The charge of a proton was determined through the Millikan oil drop experiment in 1909. This experiment involved measuring the rate at which charged oil droplets fell in an electric field, allowing for the calculation of the charge on each droplet. Through this experiment, the charge on a single electron was also determined, which is equal and opposite to the charge on a proton.

3. What is the charge of an electron?

The charge of an electron is negative and equal to -1.602 x 10^-19 Coulombs. This is the fundamental unit of charge in the International System of Units (SI).

4. Can the charge of a proton or electron be changed?

The charge of a proton and electron are fundamental physical constants and cannot be changed. However, they can be transferred between particles through various interactions, such as the transfer of electrons in chemical reactions.

5. What is the significance of the charge of a proton and electron?

The charge of a proton and electron is significant as it is one of the fundamental properties of matter, along with mass and spin. It also plays a crucial role in determining the behavior and interactions of particles, such as in the formation of atoms and molecules.