Lorentz Contraction in Supersonic Jets

In summary, the homework statement states that sonic jets achieve maximum speeds of about 3*10^-6)*c.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

Supersonic jets achieve maximum speeds of about (3 *10^-6)*c.

By what percentage would observe such a jet to be contracted in length?

Homework Equations

The equations for these this problem would be : 1/gamma= L(proper)/Length = 1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) ; beta=v/c

The Attempt at a Solution

1/sqrt(1-(v/c)^2)^.5 => 1/sqrt(1-(beta)^2)= 1/sqrt(1-(3e-6)^2)^.5=1=gamma; which leads to gamma=1=L(proper)/Length or L = (1/gamma)*L(proper) = > L=L(proper) leading me to the conclusion that the length of the jet did not contract at all .

Physics news on Phys.org
You must remember that you have approximated the value of gamma to 1, and that DOES NOT imply that no contraction occurs at all. A better answer would be that the contraction that does occur is too negligible to be observed.

Btw, your formula for length contrction: [tex]\frac{1}{\gamma} = \frac{L_o}{L}[/tex], is incorrect.

neutrino said:
You must remember that you have approximated the value of gamma to 1, and that DOES NOT imply that no contraction occurs at all. A better answer would be that the contraction that does occur is too negligible to be observed.

Btw, your formula for length contrction: [tex]\frac{1}{\gamma} = \frac{L_o}{L}[/tex], is incorrect.

Oh okay, thank you. the correct formula should be gamma=L(P)/L My TI 83 Plus will only make approximations to 1. is there any other computational tool I can used that will make more precise approximations?

Benzoate said:
is there any other computational tool I can used that will make more precise approximations?

I'm sure there must be one, but I'm afraid I don't know any. All calculators I have access to give me 1.

You can try a computer algebra program, but I can't guarantee it will work. Your best bet would probably be to use the binomial approximation on gamma.
Taking only the first two terms of the approximation should be exact enough here. If not, the approximation to three terms is:

[tex](1+x)^n = 1 + nx + \frac{n(n-1)}{2!} x^2[/tex]

Last edited:
Benzoate said:
Oh okay, thank you. the correct formula should be gamma=L(P)/L My TI 83 Plus will only make approximations to 1. is there any other computational tool I can used that will make more precise approximations?

for this exp:
1/sqrt(1-(3e-6)^2)^.5?

I got
and more precisely
1.00000000000224997798170928355350144490508802983505104210845...:approve:

What is Lorentz contraction?

Lorentz contraction, also known as length contraction, is a phenomenon in which the length of an object appears shortened when observed from a different reference frame moving at a high velocity relative to the object. This is one of the key principles of Einstein's theory of special relativity.

What causes Lorentz contraction?

Lorentz contraction is caused by the time dilation effect of special relativity. As an object moves at a high velocity, its time appears to slow down, causing the length of the object to appear contracted to an outside observer.

How does Lorentz contraction affect measurement?

Lorentz contraction can affect measurement in different ways depending on the reference frame of the observer. In the frame of the moving object, the length remains unchanged, but in the frame of the observer, the length appears shortened. This can lead to discrepancies in measurement and must be taken into account when calculating velocities and distances.

What are some real-world applications of Lorentz contraction?

Lorentz contraction has several real-world applications, particularly in the field of particle physics. It is used to explain the behavior of subatomic particles moving at high velocities and is also a crucial factor in the design of particle accelerators. Lorentz contraction also plays a role in GPS technology, as it affects the measurements of time and distance used in satellite navigation.

Is Lorentz contraction observable in everyday life?

While Lorentz contraction is a fundamental principle of special relativity, it is not easily observable in everyday life. The effects of Lorentz contraction are only noticeable at incredibly high velocities, much faster than anything we encounter in our daily lives. However, it has been observed and measured in experiments involving subatomic particles and high-speed particles in particle accelerators.