Trigonometry, Prove the Identity and more

In summary: I only did examples from 6.3, and nothing exciting was there, so I moved to the next exercise also because I had less time that day, and was tired from the work. I am on the last chapter of that book.
rootX said:
you know tan(pi/2) = UD
but cot(pi/2) = 0

so, take cot of both sides
and you can write it as
1/tan(all side)
well wouldn't i need the sum and difference identity for cot?

i proofed it the way i got the sum/diff for tan and got 0 = 0

EDIT: crap, i messed up, let me re-work this ... my handwriting is very bad, lol

by luck i arrived at the same answer, 0 in my numerator.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rocophysics said:
well wouldn't i need the sum and difference identity for cot?

no, you don't
[tex]cot\left( atan\left( x\right) +acot\left( x\right) \right) =0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{tan\left( atan\left( x\right) +acot\left( x\right) \right) }=0[/tex]

[tex]\tan (\pi/2 -x) = \cot x[/tex].

my teacher just showed me how to work 52, he did it in less than 5 steps ... amazing

he squared them, or used that assumption?

rocophysics said:
my teacher just showed me how to work 52, he did it in less than 5 steps ... amazing

I know I'm jumping into a thread I've probably not read properly here, but in question 52 it says that "I_1 can equal I_2 in some situations in mechanics. Assuming this is the case, simplify." Therefore, one simply sets I_1=I_2, which happens to simplify the equation a great deal.

here is a good one prove tan(1/n) = tan(1/[n+1])+tan(1/[n^2+1])

note: I don't have the problem with me I have make sure it is addition which I am ppositive it is.

1=2

nicktacik said:
Nope, otherwise you could prove that 1=2.

Which is clearly true.

P.O.L.A.R said:

note: I don't have the problem with me I have make sure it is addition which I am ppositive it is.

after, spending an hour, I plugged in some random number:
[tex]f(n) = -tan\left( [\frac{1}{{n}^{2}+1}]\right) -tan\left( [\frac{1}{n+1}]\right) +tan\left( \frac{1}{n}\right) [/tex]

f(6)
[tex]-tan\left( [\frac{1}{7}]\right) -tan\left( [\frac{1}{37}]\right) +tan\left( \frac{1}{6}\right) [/tex]

I guess that really doesn't give a 0!

rootX said:
after, spending an hour, I plugged in some random number:
[tex]f(n) = -tan\left( [\frac{1}{{n}^{2}+1}]\right) -tan\left( [\frac{1}{n+1}]\right) +tan\left( \frac{1}{n}\right) [/tex]

f(6)
[tex]-tan\left( [\frac{1}{7}]\right) -tan\left( [\frac{1}{37}]\right) +tan\left( \frac{1}{6}\right) [/tex]

I guess that really doesn't give a 0!

You have to remember that when working with proofs you can only work one side of the proof not both. Usually it is best to start with the side that has the most variables.

If rootX is correct is that his expression doesn't not give zero, his *proof* is always a disproof by form of the counterexample n=6.

P.O.L.A.R said:

arctan(1/n) = arctan(1/[n+1])+arctan(1/[n^2+n+1])

forgot the n sorry. also I thought I put arctan but I guess not wow I really messed that one up I aologize. A little tired I guess.

Last edited:
Apply tangent on both sides of the equation. What do you get ?

dextercioby said:
Apply tangent on both sides of the equation. What do you get ?

I already proved it myself people were asking proof questions and I found this one to be a good one.

Starting that way didnt work for me. I couldn't figure out where to go after taking the tan.

Last edited: