Calculating focal length for aspherical lenses

In summary: No, the lens maker's equation that I linked is meant for spherical lenses. I don't know of any simple formula for dealing with aspherical lenses. (Of course, you can treat it approximately as a spherical lens.)For a plano-convex lens try:r^2=(n^2-1)z^2 + 2f(n-1)zwhere r is radial and z is axial.At z<<r, this gives a spherical shape with f=R/(n-1) where R is the radius of the sphere.At r>>f, the shape is a straight line with r=sqrt(n^2
CaptainBarbosa
How is it done? I've done a little research on Wikipedia and found the lensmaker's equation, but one of the values needed to compute focal length is the radius of the lens curvature. Strictly speaking, an aspherical curvature wouldn't have a set radius, would it? The reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to make a computer model of a lens and its fresnel equivalent. I can make a lens with an arbitrary curvature and convert this to a fresnel, but I would like to be able to model the curvature for specific focal points. (Given a fixed lens diameter.)

[Edit] For a plano-convex lens, I take it the flat side has infinite radius? Or am I totally screwed up in my thinking?

[Edit2] Also, what is the unit for focal length in the equation? Meters? Millimeters?

Attachments

• fresnel2.jpg
    fresnel2.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 932
Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
CaptainBarbosa said:
For a plano-convex lens, I take it the flat side has infinite radius? Or am I totally screwed up in my thinking?
You are correct.

Also, what is the unit for focal length in the equation? Meters? Millimeters?
Doesn't matter, as long as you use the same units for the lens radii. A common unit of lens power (which is 1/f) is diopters; to get power in diopters you must measure focal length in meters.

Thanks for that. Anybody know an answer to my aspherical lens question?

[Edit] Here's the results of a test I did with my lens that I made just eyeballing the curve...

Attachments

• im1189406157.jpg
    im1189406157.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,113
Last edited:
Um, hello? Anybody?

Due to the forum e-mail problem I had been using the other account, but I'll use this one from now on.

CaptainBarbosa said:
Thanks for that. Anybody know an answer to my aspherical lens question?

[Edit] Here's the results of a test I did with my lens that I made just eyeballing the curve...

what am i looking at here? a picture ? cgi?

Yep, CGI. Here is a rendering of the lens I used in the foggy room test.

Attachments

• im1189281697.jpg
    im1189281697.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 980
Last edited:
CaptainBarbosa said:
How is it done? I've done a little research on Wikipedia and found the lensmaker's equation, but one of the values needed to compute focal length is the radius of the lens curvature. Strictly speaking, an aspherical curvature wouldn't have a set radius, would it? The reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to make a computer model of a lens and its fresnel equivalent. I can make a lens with an arbitrary curvature and convert this to a fresnel, but I would like to be able to model the curvature for specific focal points. (Given a fixed lens diameter.)

[Edit] For a plano-convex lens, I take it the flat side has infinite radius? Or am I totally screwed up in my thinking?

[Edit2] Also, what is the unit for focal length in the equation? Meters? Millimeters?

Could u show me the lensmaker's equation? Thanks

Doc Al said:

O,I got it, just the same as spheerical lens. BTW,could you show me an example about how to get the curvature R1 and R2 for aspherical lens by sending a email to [COLOR="Blue"]<personal email removed>[/COLOR]? This confuse me for quite a long time.Many thanks! Your help will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wiki has a beginning stab at your answer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radius_of_curvature_(optics )

In general I think aspheric lenses are used to correct for aberations so you might be able to come up with a close-fit spheric approximation to simplify things...

Last edited by a moderator:
fromzitu said:
O,I got it, just the same as spheerical lens.
No, the lens maker's formula that I linked is meant for spherical lenses. I don't know of any simple formula for dealing with aspherical lenses. (Of course, you can treat it approximately as a spherical lens.)

For a plano-convex lens try:
r^2=(n^2-1)z^2 + 2f(n-1)z where r is radial and z is axial.
At z<<r, this gives a spherical shape with f=R/(n-1) where R is the radius of the sphere.
At r>>f, the shape is a straight line with r=sqrt(n^2-1)z
You can derive all of this by remembering that the idea of the lens is to produce constructive interference at the focal point, so all paths of an incoming parallel beam on the plano side should have the same number of wavelengths to the focal point independent of their position r.

How do you know that your a-spherical surface has a focal point, in the first place?
And how do you define it? The rays may converge in different points (if they do at all) for different incident directions.
I know that there are non-spherical shapes with focal points, but is this a general property, to expect for any shape?

nasu
Sorry, I forgot to mention that f is the distance to the focal point measured from the on-axis surface of the convex side. This formula was derived for a beam parallel to the axis. I would guess that the focal point gets smeared a little for incoming beams not parallel to the axis. Focusing is not a general property of a shape and in fact is only an approximation for a spherical surface (spherical aberration) but they are easy to make and understand. This aspherical lens has no spherical aberration.

Even though aspheric lenses have a varying radius of curvature, the lensmaker equation can be used, with fair accuracy, by using the lens radius at the center.

nasu said:
How do you know that your a-spherical surface has a focal point, in the first place?
And how do you define it? The rays may converge in different points (if they do at all) for different incident directions.
I know that there are non-spherical shapes with focal points, but is this a general property, to expect for any shape?

Prior to decent molded plastic optics, aspheres were rarely encountered. I don't have much information about them, but I can say the following:

Aspheres are typically characterized by their deviation from a reference sphere. If the sag for a sphere is given by

[tex] z =\frac{c\rho^{2}}{1+\sqrt{1-c^{2}\rho^{2}}} [/tex]

where c is the radius of curvature and [itex]\rho[/itex] the radial coordinate. The sag of an asphere is simply:

[tex] z =\frac{c\rho^{2}}{1+\sqrt{1-(1+k)c^{2}\rho^{2}}} [/tex]

where 'k' is the conic constant (k=0 for a sphere, k = -1 for a parabola, etc)

The most simple apsheric surface is a 'corrector plate', but large projector condensors can be aspheres. Aspheric elements are often used in telescope mirrors and conformal optics as well. The only relevant reference I have are two pages in O'Shea's 'Elements of Modern Optical Design', and he points to Chapter 3 of 'Applied optics and optical engineering' (R. Shannon and J.C. Wyant, eds)

Note that while use of aspheric elements can completely correct aberrations on axis, they fail off axis:coma and astigmatism are the most common.

Thank you for these details. Now I understand that by "a-spherical" you mean something more restricted that I did. I though that a-spherical means everything that is not a sphere, including an irregular kind of shape or with a periodic profile, or things like this. Or even something with a nice analytical profile which is not a conical section.
I suppose the OP had in mind something along the lines of your post above.

Maybe there is a difference in technical meaning between a-spherical and non-spherical?

What is the purpose of calculating focal length for aspherical lenses?

Calculating the focal length for aspherical lenses helps determine the distance between the lens and the sensor or film plane where the image is in focus. This is crucial in achieving sharp and clear images.

How is focal length for aspherical lenses calculated?

The focal length for aspherical lenses can be calculated using the following formula: F = R / (n - 1), where F is the focal length, R is the radius of curvature, and n is the refractive index of the lens material.

What is the difference between focal length for aspherical lenses and traditional lenses?

Focal length for aspherical lenses is typically shorter than traditional lenses due to the curved shape of the lens. This allows for a wider field of view and less distortion in the image.

What factors affect the focal length for aspherical lenses?

The main factors that affect the focal length for aspherical lenses are the radius of curvature, the refractive index of the lens material, and the degree of asphericity of the lens surface. These factors can be manipulated to achieve a desired focal length.

Why is it important to calculate the focal length for aspherical lenses accurately?

Calculating the focal length for aspherical lenses accurately is important in order to achieve precise and high-quality images. Any miscalculations can result in blurry or distorted images, which can significantly impact the final result of a project or experiment.