How can you find two different values for sin^-1(0.750)?

• Thread starter ND3G
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the proper angle when given a sine value and how the calculator's inverse trig functions have restricted ranges. It also mentions the importance of knowing the physical situation in order to determine which angle is appropriate for the solution.
ND3G
I am working on a statics question and one of the angles is sin^-1(0.750) which I calculate as 48.6 degrees though the book gives 131.41 degrees

If I calculate sin(48.6) it equals 0.750
If I calculate sin(131.41) it equals 0.750

Clearly there is some relation or rule that I am unaware of. How do I ensure that I find the proper angle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just draw the unit circle and joggle a bit then all becomes clear.

sin^1(0.75) means "what angle gives y = 0.75" if you do the unit circle. You'll see that there is two angles in the range 0 - 360 degree that gives you that value.

Which is correct depends on what the problem is, what physical situation it is and so on.

sin x = a has infinitely many solutions for x.

If you're working on a problem and expect a unique answer, then you'll have to find some other constraint on x.

Ok, I figured it out. Because of the direction of the vector it is not 0 degrees + 48.6 degrees but 180 degrees - 48.6 degrees which equals 131.4 degrees

You realize that you said nothing at all about vectors in your original post. And even now, we do not know WHY the direction is "180 degrees- 48.6 degrees"!

ND3G said:
Clearly there is some relation or rule that I am unaware of. How do I ensure that I find the proper angle?

Your calculator cannot help you with interpreting the output in relation with the problem you are working on. The inverse trig functions on a calculator will only give output in the ranges

arcsin or arctan: -90º to +90º (not quite 90º, of course, for arctan)

arccos: 0º to 180º .

In order to define these as functions, it is necessary to have restricted ranges on
y=f(x) and the calculator is programmed to follow these definitions (this is why the inverse trig functions are sometimes identified as Sin^{-1}, Cos^{-1}, etc., rather than using lower-case).

As you note that the positive sine value is associated with two angles (in the first and second quadrants), it is important to have a picture in mind for the physical situation in order to decide which angle is appropriate to the solution. (I particularly warn engineering students about this all the time: you have to know what the result should look like because the calculator can't.)

Thanks

1. How can you find two different values for sin^-1(0.750)?

There are multiple approaches to finding two different values for sin^-1(0.750). One way is to use a scientific calculator and input 0.750 as the argument for the inverse sine function. This will give you a principal value of approximately 48.59° or 0.848 radians. To find the second value, you can add 360° or 2π radians to the principal value, giving you an alternate value of 408.59° or 5.637 radians.

2. What does sin^-1(0.750) represent?

The inverse sine function, sin^-1, is also known as the arcsine function. It represents the angle whose sine is equal to 0.750. In other words, it gives the input value (0.750) the angle measure in radians or degrees.

3. Can there be more than two values for sin^-1(0.750)?

No, the inverse sine function only has two values for a given input. This is because the sine function is periodic, repeating itself every 360° or 2π radians. Therefore, the inverse sine function will also repeat itself after every 360° or 2π radians, giving only two unique values for a given input.

4. How does the quadrant of the angle affect the value of sin^-1(0.750)?

The quadrant of the angle does not affect the value of sin^-1(0.750). This is because the inverse sine function is defined to have a range of -π/2 to π/2 or -90° to 90°. Therefore, it will always give the same two values for a given input, regardless of the quadrant in which the angle lies.

5. Is sin^-1(0.750) the same as 1/sin(0.750)?

No, sin^-1(0.750) and 1/sin(0.750) are not the same. Sin^-1(0.750) is the inverse of the sine function, while 1/sin(0.750) is the reciprocal of the sine function. In other words, sin^-1(0.750) gives the angle measure for a given input, while 1/sin(0.750) gives the ratio of the hypotenuse to the opposite side of a right triangle with an angle of 0.750 radians or approximately 43.03°.