Contraction of a Line Segment Using Average Point

• Thread starter matteo16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of contracting a segment and how it is composed of an infinite number of points. The average point is an important factor and adding points to it can affect the length and number of points in the segment. However, the concept of "adding points" to a point is unclear and causes confusion in the conversation.
matteo16
if we consider a segment of course it's composed by infinitive points
i want to contract it and i know the avarage point M
if i contract the segment cutting each time one point from the terminal points i will always have infinitive points and so i can't contract the segment until the avarage point
wathever is the length
but if i have only the avarage point and i add twe points(P and O) at the avarage point
then cutting those points i will have only the avarage point even if i have the segment PO(because a segment is always composed by an infinitive number of points)

i don't understend

Mathematics news on Phys.org
but if i have only the avarage point and i add twe points(P and O) at the avarage point

If P and O are at M, the segment is of zero length. A segment will have an infinite number of points only if its length is greater than zero.

matteo16 said:
i don't understend

Neither do I. What do you mean by the following terms:

average point
cut
contract
add two points at the average point
infinitive

matt grime said:
Neither do I. What do you mean by the following terms:

average point
cut
contract
add two points at the average point
infinitive

sorry I'm not englesh

It's not the English that's the problem. What could you possibly mean by "adding points" to a point?

1. How do you contract a line segment?

To contract a line segment, you can use a compass to measure the desired length and then draw a new line from one endpoint to the other using the measured distance as the radius. This will create a smaller, contracted line segment.

2. What is the purpose of contracting a line segment?

The purpose of contracting a line segment is to create a smaller, more manageable line while still maintaining the same slope or angle. This can be useful in geometry and engineering applications.

3. Can you contract a line segment by a certain ratio?

Yes, you can contract a line segment by a certain ratio by using a compass to measure the desired length and then drawing a new line from one endpoint to the other using the measured distance multiplied by the ratio as the radius.

4. Is it possible to contract a curved line segment?

Yes, it is possible to contract a curved line segment by using a compass to create a smaller arc within the original curve. This will create a contracted curved line segment.

5. Are there any limitations to contracting a line segment?

One limitation to contracting a line segment is that the new line will always be shorter than the original line. Additionally, the contraction must maintain the same slope or angle as the original line segment.