Finding Values of a Function (increasing, decreasing, IPs, etc.)

In summary, the function is f(x) = 2 + 3x^{2} - x^{4} and the intervals of increase and decrease, local max and min values, inflection points, and intervals of concavity can be found by setting the derivative equal to 0 and solving for x. The critical numbers are x= 0 and the solutions to 6- 4x2 = 0.
momogiri
So the function is [tex]f(x) = 2 + 3x^{2} - x^{4}[/tex]

Find the intervals of increase + decrease, local max + min value, inflection points (IP), interval the function is concave up + down

I know that I need to first find f'(x) to find the increase and decrease, so I solved that:

[tex]f'(x) = 6x - 4x^{3}[/tex]

Now, the problem I'm having is finding the critical numbers. I know that 0 is obviously one of them, but I don't know what the other one is (since I'm quite confident that there is another one)
Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. set your derivative equal to 0 and solve for x

momogiri said:
So the function is [tex]f(x) = 2 + 3x^{2} - x^{4}[/tex]

Find the intervals of increase + decrease, local max + min value, inflection points (IP), interval the function is concave up + down

I know that I need to first find f'(x) to find the increase and decrease, so I solved that:

[tex]f'(x) = 6x - 4x^{3}[/tex]

Now, the problem I'm having is finding the critical numbers. I know that 0 is obviously one of them, but I don't know what the other one is (since I'm quite confident that there is another one)
Thanks for your help!

rocophysics said:
1. set your derivative equal to 0 and solve for x

I think that's what he said he did!

Yes, momogiri, f'(x)= 6x- 4x3= x(6- 4x2)= 0 at the critical points. It is because of that "x" factor that x= 0 is one. The other two, of course, satisfy 6- 4x2= 0. Can you solve that?

Oh gosh, I can't believe I didn't see that XD
I'm pretty sure I can do it, Thanks for the help :D

What is the definition of a function?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two sets of values, where each input value has exactly one output value. It can be represented by an equation or a graph.

What does it mean for a function to be increasing?

A function is increasing when its output values increase as the input values increase. This can be seen on a graph as a rising line from left to right.

How can I determine if a function is decreasing?

A function is decreasing when its output values decrease as the input values increase. This can be seen on a graph as a falling line from left to right.

What are inflection points in a function?

Inflection points are points on a graph where the function changes from being concave up (opening upwards) to concave down (opening downwards), or vice versa. These points can help determine whether a function is increasing or decreasing.

How do I find the critical points of a function?

The critical points of a function are where the derivative of the function is equal to 0 or undefined. These points can help determine whether a function is increasing or decreasing, as well as the location of any inflection points.