Work input/output, efficient probelm, just need someone to check my work

In summary, the conversation discusses the efficiency of a lever and the amount of input work needed to lift a certain mass through a given distance. After applying the equation (Fout/Fin) = (Din/Dout), the answer is determined to be 98.1J.
KatieLynn
Work input/output, efficient probelm, just need someone to check my work :)

Homework Statement

Because there is very little friction, the lever is an extremely efficient simple machine. Using a 90% efficient lever, what input work is required to lift an 18kg mass through a distance of 0.5m?

Homework Equations

(Fout/Fin)/(Din/Dout)

The Attempt at a Solution

(Fout/Fin)/(Din/Dout)
(176.6N/Fin)/(Din/.5m)=.9

so you get (Fin)(Din)=98.1 which FD is work so 98.1J is the answer correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I do not quite understand (Fout/Fin)/(Din/Dout) as being an "equation". There is no = sign!

That said, when I work the problem, my answer matches yours. I think you mean to write (Fout/Fin) = (Din/Dout), which is legitimate!

Your calculations and use of the equation seem to be correct. However, it would be helpful to include the units in your final answer (98.1J) to make it clear that it represents work. Additionally, it may be beneficial to explain your reasoning and show your work in more detail to demonstrate your understanding of the problem. Overall, it appears that you have correctly solved the problem and have a good understanding of the concept of efficiency in simple machines. Great job!

1. What is work input and output?

Work input is the amount of energy or effort put into a task or system. Work output is the result or outcome of that energy or effort. In other words, work input is the input of energy or effort, while work output is the output or result of that energy or effort.

2. How do you calculate work input and output?

Work input and output can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance that object moves in the direction of the force. This is known as the work equation: Work = force x distance. The unit of work is joules (J).

3. What does it mean for a problem to be efficient?

An efficient problem is one that can be solved with the least amount of resources or effort. This means that the solution is achieved with minimal time, energy, or cost. An efficient problem is also one that has the best possible outcome in relation to the resources used.

4. How do you determine if a problem is efficient?

To determine if a problem is efficient, you can use the efficiency formula: Efficiency = (useful energy output / total energy input) x 100%. If the efficiency is close to 100%, then the problem is considered efficient. Additionally, if the problem has a low resource cost and a high output, it can also be considered efficient.

5. Can you explain the concept of work input and output with an example?

One example of work input and output is a person pushing a shopping cart. The person applies a force to the cart by pushing it, and the cart moves a certain distance in the direction of the force (output). The amount of energy or work put into pushing the cart is the input. The same concept can be applied to many other situations, such as lifting weights or rowing a boat.