Charge density, carrier concentration, or Hall coefficient for Indium Arsenide?

In summary: The Hall coefficient can also be thought of as the reciprocal of the carrier concentration or carrier density, which is thenn = (# of carriers of charge / unit volume) * (charge of each carrier) = net amount of positive charge / unit volume.In summary, the Hall coefficient is the reciprocal of the charge density and can be thought of as the net amount of positive or negative charge within a given volume.

Are you familiar with the Hall coefficient?

• Yes.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No.

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
ethereality
I've been searching for an acceptable value for the charge density of indium arsenide; that is, the amount of charge per cubic meter. I have been unable to find anything.

I'm working on a replication of the Hall Effect, and I need an accepted value for comparing my own results. I've searched Google multiple times, and have searched article databases from http://library.mtsu.edu/ ... It seems no one is very interested in something this mundane; it's all semiconductors and "quantum dots" and other complex esoteric material...

Where else and for what else can one search? ... I've also not been very successful in ascertaining a clear definition of the Hall coefficient; it appears to vary, depending on the type of semiconductor, and whether one is addressing quantum or classical effects ... but one definition I have that I think is valid is simply the reciprocal of the charge density, that is, R = 1/(ne), where n = # of charge carriers / cubic meter (I think some call this the carrier concentration or carrier density; is that correct?)

Any help or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Sorry; the poll was meant to ask about the Hall effect... can't find where to edit (or recreate) the poll.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This may be stupid, but unless this material is very exotic I would guess it is electrically neutral, in which case it has no net charge density? If so, then I guess what you really want is the mass density, because if you knew that and its crystalline structure then you could make a decent guess as to how many electrons or protons would reside within a given volume, right? With the doping data I guess you could figure out the mobile charge density also?

Yes, I have thought about estimating from its molecular density, and this is what I will do if I cannot find an accepted value... and yes, it is of course electrically neutral, but that doesn't solve my problem. By charge density, or carrier concentration, I mean specifically

r (Greek 'rho') = ne = (# of carriers of charge / unit volume) * (charge of each carrier) = net amount of negative charge / unit volume.

Is that clear? Sorry if there was any ambiguity. One definition I've seen for the Hall coefficient is then

R = 1/(ne),

sometimes with a minus sign, so that R > 0.

Last edited:

1. What is the charge density of Indium Arsenide?

The charge density of Indium Arsenide is the measure of the total electric charge per unit volume in the material. It is typically denoted by the symbol "n" and is expressed in units of charge per cubic centimeter (cm^-3). The charge density of Indium Arsenide can vary depending on factors such as temperature and impurity concentration.

2. How is the carrier concentration determined in Indium Arsenide?

The carrier concentration in Indium Arsenide can be determined through various experimental techniques such as Hall effect measurements, capacitance-voltage measurements, and optical absorption measurements. These methods involve applying an external electric or magnetic field to the material and measuring the resulting changes in the material's properties.

3. What is the relationship between charge density and carrier concentration in Indium Arsenide?

In Indium Arsenide, the charge density and carrier concentration are directly related. The charge density is equal to the product of the carrier concentration and the charge of each carrier (either positive or negative). This relationship is expressed by the equation n = p + ni, where n is the charge density, p is the concentration of holes, and ni is the concentration of intrinsic carriers.

4. How does the Hall coefficient change with temperature in Indium Arsenide?

The Hall coefficient in Indium Arsenide is known to decrease with increasing temperature. This is because at higher temperatures, more thermal energy is available to break the bonds between the atoms, resulting in an increase in the number of free carriers. As a result, the material becomes more conductive, and the Hall coefficient decreases.

5. What are the typical values for charge density, carrier concentration, and Hall coefficient in Indium Arsenide?

The charge density, carrier concentration, and Hall coefficient in Indium Arsenide can vary depending on the material's purity, temperature, and other factors. However, some typical values for these parameters in Indium Arsenide are: charge density (10^16-10^17 cm^-3), carrier concentration (10^16-10^17 cm^-3), and Hall coefficient (10^-10-10^-9 m^3/C).