Cardinality of infinity

In summary: It suffices to prove that Q2 is coutnably infinite.For N2, I know how to do:http://pirate.shu.edu/projects/reals/infinity/graphics/combctbl.gifBut for Q2, how can I arrange the array in the right way?I'd be a little careful if I were writing this as a formal proof. I.e. you don't want to say {1,2}->(1,2) and {2,1}->(2,1) since {1,2} and {2,1} are the same set. (Take the elements of the set in sorted order to
kingwinner said:
OK, I can now see that S has infinitely many elements.

But if I define the S = union of Ak (k summing fom 1 up to infinity), will S contain all subsets of Q with infinitely many elements? k is supposed to be finite, but from the union, k can be all the way from 1 to infinity. How come?

I don't think you are giving these questions much thought before you post them. Answer this one yourself. WHY doesn't S contain an infinite subset? Try answering it instead of asking it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dick said:
I don't think you are giving these questions much thought before you post them. Answer this one yourself. WHY doesn't S contain an infinite subset? Try answering it instead of asking it.
S certainly doesn't contain an infinite subset by definition, or by the statement of the problem.

But when I try to write this as S = union of Ak (k summing fom 1 up to infinity) U {empty set}
Then the right side would contain the infinite subset since k is summing from 1 to infinity.

On the other hand, if I write it as S = union of Ak (k summing fom 1 up to n) U {empty set}, then the right side would not contain An+1, An+2, etc...

So either of them seem to be an incorrect description of S, but what else can I do?:confused:

The notation S = union of Ak (k from 1 up to infinity) does not mean that you include A_infinity, you just union over all finite k. That fits with your notion of what S should be as you described in the first sentence, right?

Last edited:
Dick said:
The notation S = union of Ak (k from 1 up to infinity) does not mean that you include A_infinity, you just union over all finite k. That fits with your notion of what S should be as you described in the first sentence, right?
Is this simply a matter of notation/convention? Although it is an infinite union, it can still never go up to infinity?

However, I think the following is true:
union of Ak (k from 1 up to ∞) = A1 U A2 U...UA
And by definition, Ak = {all subsets of Q having k elements}
Now put k=∞, UA contains infinite subsets of Q

I think I am missing something...

I already told you that most people wouldn't include A_infinity. If you insist on reading it that way, then you'll have to find a different way of expressing the union you want.