Query regarding steady state error in a velocity control system

In summary, the problem involves a feed-forward transfer function and a feedback transfer function, with a tachometer constant of 10 V/rad-sec. The closed loop transfer function is found and the output time response is calculated for a unit step input. The steady state error is then computed by taking the limit of the difference between the desired velocity and the output time response as t approaches infinity.
maverick280857
Hi

I was reading BC Kuo's Automatic Control Systems where I came across a solved problem (page 369 of 7th edition) regarding velocity control. I have a problem understanding how the steady state error has been computed. The original problem and its solution as given in the book are quoted below.

Let the feed-forward transfer function be

[tex]G(s) = \frac{1}{s^2(s+12)}[/tex]

and the feedback transfer function be

[tex]H(s) = K_{t}s[/tex]

where [itex]K_{t}[/tex] is the tachometer constant.

Let [itex]K_{t} = 10[/itex] V/rad-sec. This means that for a unit step of 1 V, the desired velocity in the steady state is 1/10 or 0.1 rad/sec, since when this is achieved, the output voltage of the tachometer would be 1 V and the steady state error would be zero. The closed loop transfer function of the system is

[tex]M(s) = \frac{Y(s)}{R(s)} = \frac{G(s)}{1+G(s)H(s)} = \frac{1}{s(s^2+12s+10)}[/tex]

For a unit step input [itex]R(s) = 1/s[/itex]. The output time response is

[tex]y(t) = 0.1t - 0.12 - 0.000796e^{-11.1t} + 0.1208e^{-0.901t}[/tex]

for [itex]t \geq 0[/itex]

Since the exponential terms of [itex]y(t)[/itex] all diminish as [itex]t \rightarrow \infty[/itex], the steady state part of [itex]y(t)[/itex] is [itex]0.1t-12[/itex]. Thus the steady state error of the system is

[tex]e_{ss} = \lim_{t\rightarrow \infty}\left[0.1t - y(t)\right] = 0.12[/tex]

I am not clear about how the steady state error has been computed here. I understand that the dominating terms as [itex]t\rightarrow \infty[/itex] are the linear term and the constant term, but how does the limit of the (0.1t -y(t)) term represent steady state error? How is the reference signal equal to 0.1t?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Anyone?

maverick280857 said:
Anyone?

I haven't been able to figure this out yet, so I would be really grateful if someone could look into it for me and tell me what the mistake in my understanding/interpretation is?

Got it...thanks to varunag :-)

It should be 10V/rad/sec. The output is the angle measure.

For the later occurrences, steady state means change of the function goes to zero when t goes to infinity right? That means if I take the derivative of the function it should go to zero since there is a steady state(existence must be checked of course!) then derivative means multiplying with s right?

[tex]\lim_{t\to \infty} f(t)\star u(t) = \lim_{s\to 0}sf(s)u(s)\[/tex]

If the limit exists it will give you the SS error.

1. What is steady state error in a velocity control system?

Steady state error in a velocity control system refers to the difference between the actual velocity of the system and the desired or set velocity, once the system has reached a stable state.

2. What causes steady state error in a velocity control system?

Steady state error can be caused by factors such as friction, disturbances, or inaccuracies in the control system itself. These factors can prevent the system from reaching the desired velocity and result in a steady state error.

3. How is steady state error measured in a velocity control system?

Steady state error is typically measured as a percentage of the desired velocity. It can also be measured in units of velocity, such as meters per second.

4. What are some methods for reducing steady state error in a velocity control system?

Some methods for reducing steady state error include using a more accurate control system, minimizing friction and disturbances, and implementing feedback control to continuously adjust the system's velocity to match the desired velocity.

5. Can steady state error be completely eliminated in a velocity control system?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate steady state error in a velocity control system. However, it can be minimized to a negligible level by using advanced control techniques and optimizing the system's design and components.