Solution Pressure of Nitrogen Gas In Diesel Fuel

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the depth at which nitrogen gas would go into solution instead of creating bubbles at the bottom of a storage tank. It is mentioned that this calculation is dependent on the fuel saturation and may be found in handbooks or by asking a librarian. The requester also asks for further explanation or estimation of the calculation.
wolfego
I have an application where I am bubbling N2 into diesel at the bottom of a storage tank to register the head pressure.

I want to calculate at what depth (head pressure) the nitrogen gas would go into solution instead of creating a bubble at the bottom of the tank. Could you explain or possibly provide an example as to how to make that calculation even if it is only an approximation?

Thanks,
Bernie

Physics news on Phys.org
It will depend on the fuel saturation - for a given pressure at some point diesel oil will be saturated and no more nitrogen will get dissolved, so you will see no bubbles first, but bubbles later. I suppose these things are tabelarized in some handbooks, but I have no idea where to look. My best idea is to go to library and to ask librarian.

Could anyone offer any more of an explanation as to how to calculate or estimate?

1. What is solution pressure of nitrogen gas in diesel fuel?

Solution pressure of nitrogen gas in diesel fuel is a measure of the concentration of nitrogen gas molecules dissolved in the diesel fuel. It is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the composition of the fuel.

2. Why is solution pressure of nitrogen gas in diesel fuel important?

Solution pressure of nitrogen gas in diesel fuel is important because it can affect the performance and emissions of diesel engines. High levels of nitrogen gas can lead to increased fuel consumption and emissions, while low levels can cause engine knock and decreased efficiency.

3. How is solution pressure of nitrogen gas in diesel fuel measured?

Solution pressure of nitrogen gas in diesel fuel is typically measured using a gas chromatograph, which separates and quantifies the different components in a fuel sample. It can also be estimated using thermodynamic models based on the composition of the fuel.

4. What factors can affect the solution pressure of nitrogen gas in diesel fuel?

The solution pressure of nitrogen gas in diesel fuel can be affected by temperature, pressure, and the composition of the fuel. Higher temperatures and pressures can increase the solubility of nitrogen gas, while the presence of other components such as sulfur can also impact the solution pressure.

5. How can the solution pressure of nitrogen gas in diesel fuel be controlled?

The solution pressure of nitrogen gas in diesel fuel can be controlled by adjusting the operating conditions of the engine, such as the temperature and pressure. Additionally, using refined fuels with lower levels of impurities can help to reduce the amount of nitrogen gas in the fuel.