Percentage of Nickel in Crash Site Sample | 20g

• Thread starter Emily266
  • Start date
In summary, a 20.0 gram piece of debris from a crash site was analyzed and found to contain chromium and nickel. When oxidized with 50.0 ml of 6.0 M nitric acid, 3.0 grams of nickel (II) nitrate were formed. The equations for the reactions are Cr + HNO3 -> Cr(NO3)3 + H2 and Ni + HNO3 -> Ni(NO3)2 + H2. The mass of nickel in the sample is 0.96 grams. Therefore, the percent of nickel in the sample is 4.8%.
Emily266
A 20.0 gram piece of debris form a crash site was analyzed to determine the percent of nickel in the sample. The major components were chromium (III) and nickel (II). When the sample was oxidized with 50.0 ml of 6.0 M nitric acid, 3.0 grams of nickel (II) nitrate were formed.

a. write the two balanced equations. This is what I don't get
b. what was the mass of the nickel in the sample. I'm good on this part after I have the equation.

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Emily266 said:
a. write the two balanced equations. This is what I don't get

Don't feel alone, I don't get it too. At least in theory Cr can be oxidized to chromate, but I don't know if that'll happen. And as the question states that the sample contained Cr(III) and Ni(II) further oxidation wasn't necessary.

I suppose that it was meant to be "The major components were chromium and nickel".

Note, that even not having reaction equation you can still calculate percentage of nickel in the sample.

Borek said:
Note, that even not having reaction equation you can still calculate percentage of nickel in the sample.

Thank you. I'm sorry but I don't quite see how to find the percent of Ni.:confused:

Would it be 3/20 X 100?

What is mass of nickel in 3 grams of nickel (II) nitrate?

0.96 g of Ni. Now do I do .96/20 X 100?

EPIPHANY! could these work as the equations??:

Cr + HNO3 -> Cr(NO3)3 + H2 and
Ni + HNO3 -> Ni(NO3)2 + H2

Could do.

woohoo!

1. What is the significance of the percentage of nickel in a crash site sample?

The percentage of nickel in a crash site sample can provide valuable information about the composition and origin of the sample. High levels of nickel could indicate that the sample is from a meteorite or other extraterrestrial object, while low levels could suggest a more terrestrial origin.

2. How is the percentage of nickel in a crash site sample determined?

The percentage of nickel in a crash site sample is typically determined through a process called atomic absorption spectroscopy. This involves using light to measure the amount of nickel atoms present in the sample and then calculating the percentage based on the total mass of the sample.

3. What is considered a normal or expected percentage of nickel in a crash site sample?

The expected percentage of nickel in a crash site sample can vary depending on the type of object that crashed. For example, meteorites often have high levels of nickel, while debris from a man-made object may have lower levels. Without knowing the specific crash site and circumstances, it is difficult to determine what would be considered a normal percentage.

4. Can the percentage of nickel in a crash site sample change over time?

Yes, the percentage of nickel in a crash site sample can change over time due to various factors such as weathering, contamination, and chemical reactions. It is important for scientists to collect and analyze samples as soon as possible after a crash to get the most accurate results.

5. How does the percentage of nickel in a crash site sample relate to the cause of the crash?

The percentage of nickel in a crash site sample alone cannot determine the cause of a crash. However, it can provide valuable evidence and clues that can help scientists and investigators piece together what happened. Other factors, such as the location and distribution of the nickel in the sample, must also be considered.