Extremely confused by the wording of aa extremely easy problem

• Thread starter iacephysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, when someone says A is a factor of 3 above B, it typically means that A is approximately 3 times larger than B. However, in this context, it could also mean 4 times larger. This is more of an English question than a math question, but it is comparable to saying something is an order of magnitude above. Most people in common usage do not make a distinction between 70 and 77 being an order of magnitude above 7.
iacephysics
This is pretty urgent, I am really confused by this kind of wording.

Normally when people say A is a factor of 3 above B, do they mean A = B*3, or A = B*4?

Physics news on Phys.org
iacephysics said:
This is pretty urgent, I am really confused by this kind of wording.

Normally when people say A is a factor of 3 above B, do they mean A = B*3, or A = B*4?

Without seeing your particular context, I would normally take that to be approximately 3 times more than what it is compared to. As in 25 is about a factor of 3 times greater than 8.

LowlyPion said:
Without seeing your particular context, I would normally take that to be approximately 3 times more than what it is compared to. As in 25 is about a factor of 3 times greater than 8.

Well in this context, there can be no approximate answer. So my question is really whether A is 3 times as large B or 4 times as large as B. This is more of an English question than math question.

iacephysics said:
Well in this context, there can be no approximate answer. So my question is really whether A is 3 times as large B or 4 times as large as B. This is more of an English question than math question.

My best guess then would be that it was 3 times and not 4.

It's comparable to saying something is an order of magnitude above. That is 70 is an order of magnitude greater than 7. It seems to me that someone would likely never mean that 77 was an order of magnitude above 7 and not 70.

I think most people in common usage don't make the distinction.

What does "extremely confused" mean in this context?

"Extremely confused" refers to a level of confusion that is significantly more intense and overwhelming than normal confusion. It suggests that the person is having difficulty understanding the problem and is feeling very disoriented.

Why is the problem described as "extremely easy" if the person is confused?

The wording of the problem may be extremely simple and straightforward, but the person's confusion is preventing them from understanding it. They may be overthinking or misinterpreting the instructions, leading to their confusion.

How can a problem be both "extremely easy" and "extremely confusing" at the same time?

This could be due to the individual's perception and understanding of the problem. Some people may find certain concepts or instructions to be easy, while others may find them confusing. It also depends on the person's level of familiarity with the subject matter.

What can I do to help someone who is extremely confused by a seemingly easy problem?

First, try to understand where the confusion is coming from. Ask the person to explain their thought process and where they are getting stuck. Then, break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps. You can also offer different perspectives or examples to help clarify the instructions.

Is being extremely confused a sign of intelligence or lack thereof?

No, being confused does not determine a person's intelligence. It is a normal human experience and can happen to anyone regardless of their intelligence level. It simply means that the person is having difficulty understanding a certain concept or problem.