Calculating Energy Received by a Human Eardrum at Threshold of Hearing

In summary, the problem asks to calculate the energy per second received by a human eardrum when listening to sound at the threshold of hearing. By converting the radius of the eardrum to meters and using the formula for intensity, the power can be calculated. The final answer is expressed in watts.
Cheezay

Homework Statement

The radius of a typical human eardrum is about 4.10 mm. Calculate the energy per second received by an eardrum when it listens to sound that is at the threshold of hearing, assumed to be 1.04E-12 W/m^2.

Homework Equations

I=P/A

The Attempt at a Solution

First i start by converting 4.10mm to m, for which i get .0041m.

The rest seems simple:
Intensity= 1.04E-12 W/m^2
Area= 4(pi)(r^2)

plugging in my numbers i get 1.04E-12 W/m^2= P/.000211

Then I solve for P, because power=Energy per time and is expressed in W.
This problem seems like it should be simple. I really have no idea where i am making the mistake, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming the eardrum is roughly circular. Hence:

[tex] A = \pi r^2 [/tex]

Thanks for the help, that's what i was doing wrong :)

What is "Determining Energy Per Second"?

"Determining Energy Per Second" is the process of calculating the amount of energy consumed or produced per unit of time. It is often used in physics and engineering to measure the rate of energy transfer.

How is energy per second calculated?

Energy per second is calculated by dividing the total energy by the time it takes to transfer that energy. The unit of measurement for energy per second is watts (W), which is equal to one joule (J) per second.

Why is it important to determine energy per second?

Determining energy per second is important because it allows us to understand the efficiency and power of a system. It also helps us to measure and compare different energy sources and their impact on the environment.

What are some common applications of determining energy per second?

Determining energy per second is commonly used in various fields such as electricity generation, transportation, and renewable energy sources. It is also used in everyday devices such as light bulbs, appliances, and cars to measure their energy consumption.

What are some factors that can affect energy per second?

The amount of energy transferred per second can be affected by factors such as resistance, voltage, and current in a circuit. In other systems, factors such as friction, temperature, and efficiency can also impact the energy per second.