Is it too late to pursue a PhD in physics at 29?

• Physics
  • Thread starter quantumfireball
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, an expert believes that there is no age limit for postdocs in the states, and that it is up to the individual to do their research. They also advise that anyone starting a PhD should do so by age 18 if possible.
quantumfireball
Hi everyone

Will i be to OLD ,if i obtain a Phd in Theoretical physics at the age of 29?
I will be 24 when i get started with the phd program ,and its no way going to take less then
5 years as i am an electronics/telecom engineering graduate and have to obtain an Msc along the way.
Should i go ahead with the phd program?
Is there any age limit for post docs in the states?
please give your frank opinion.

Thank you
Old Man

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any problem at all with that. I don't even think 29 is a particularly 'old' age to get a PhD.

alxm said:
I don't see any problem at all with that. I don't even think 29 is a particularly 'old' age to get a PhD.

sure,i know many who have completed phd at that age,maybe in other areas like astronomy etc..
I have not heard anyone complete a phd in theoretical suff(strings,LQG etc..) at an age older then 26-27

29 way is too old. It is too close to the magical barrier of 30 where your brain turns off, you develop an aversion to anything new and you start wearing your belt up around your belly button. Any self-respecting physicist should complete a PhD before the age of 25. Ideally by age 18.

Seriously, the only time age becomes a factor that I've seen is in how a candidate's career coals relate to a potential position. For example, someone looking for a final few years of work before retirement might be seen differently than someone looking to use the position as a springboard to advance his or her career.

Seriously, you think starting a Ph.d. at 24 is old? Who gave you that idea? It's not quite the same as starting Kindergarten late! even if most people do start there Ph.d. right after undergrad then most them are going to be 22, what's the big deal?

Even if age would possible be a factor in some situation, it's not for you man, 2 years makes no difference. Do you think they are going to see you are 30 instead of 28 and make a decision based on that?

It is not a problem unless you have a family or plan to start one before the age of 30, and then you may feel that you are taking to long to start your career. Otherwise it will be fine and normal.

Too old being 29?
Where I live, people start their career at 18, then they spend 5 years studying it, so they start their Ph.D. when they are 22. If you spend 6 years doing a Ph.D. then you will finish when you are 28!
So, to sum up, I think 29 is a normal age!

Too old? Let's see... several years ago, I embarked on a project examining the interactions of apparently-interacting galaxies of M-51 type. I was in my 50's with no college degree. Two other researchers piled on, and last year, our paper was published by Springer's journal "Astrophysics and Space Sciences" and we are working on a series of follow-ups. This year, we have welcomed a former engineer with strengths in statistical analysis to our group. He is in his 70's. Too old? What's that?

I'll be 27 when I start a Ph.D. next fall, so I am worse off than you. =)

On a serious note, I question if you really know what your getting yourself into, both during grad school and after. Do your research if you haven't already. Good luck to you.

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the comments.
It will go a long way in me coming to a correct decision.

Ya, I would hardly say that 29 would be too old for a PhD. I should hope not at least.
I'll be 25 this summer, and essentially starting my Undergrad Physics/Applied Math studies.

If you look at the AIP statistics for time it takes to graduate with a Ph.D ( http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/highlite/emp/figure14.htm ), even if everyone else in your department started at age 22, about one third would still be there or graduating with you. This is using your assumption that it will only take you 5 years. I wouldn't worry too much about your age. I would worry much more about passing the qualifying exams.

LOL. I'm 52 and just starting back to school taking some math refreshers prior to starting a physics degree program in the fall. Was a science major (biology and chemistry) many years ago, but jobs moved me in other directions. Lately, I got the bug again from having to interpret technical reports on my job. While I may never get a PhD (shoot, at only taking one or two courses a semester, I'd be like 134 by then!), the fun of understanding is terrific. I understand its different for you facing career choices and all, but like a book I once read said: Do what you enjoy and the money will follow.

Really, not 'too old' at all. It doesn't apply specifically to your case, but one thing that's always stuck with me as a good piece of advice was a comment DaveC from this forum made when someone asked about starting another degree when they were 30 (I won't be finished until I'm 35! too old!), the point he made was that whether you do the degree or not, you're still going to end up 35 so just need to factor in the thought that you're either still doing what you're doing or your career is wildly changed by the possible PhD, which is it you want?

Plus, 29 isn't old to finish a PhD, don't be absurd.

the real question is if 29 is too young for a PhD?

AFAIK, young adults are people between 18 & 35 years. So 24 years means young.

Dont' worry about beginning PhD studies at that age. Race against clock is worthless except -maybe- if you're talking about elementary or high school level. You can even start a family in your 30's and earning your degree. That would be normal.

What is the age limit for studying and doing physics?

The age limit for studying and doing physics varies depending on personal circumstances and individual abilities. While it may be more challenging to start studying physics at an older age, it is never too late to pursue an interest or passion in the subject.

Can someone be too old to contribute to the field of physics?

No, there is no age limit for contributing to the field of physics. Many renowned physicists have made significant contributions to the field later in their careers. Age does not determine one's ability to think critically and creatively, which are essential skills in physics.

Is it possible to switch careers and become a physicist at an older age?

Yes, it is possible to switch careers and become a physicist at an older age. While it may require a significant amount of dedication and hard work, it is never too late to pursue a new career path and follow your interests and passions.

Are there any physical limitations for older individuals studying and doing physics?

There are no physical limitations for studying and doing physics at an older age. Physics is a field that requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills rather than physical abilities. However, it is essential to maintain a healthy lifestyle to support cognitive function and overall well-being.

What are some benefits of studying physics at an older age?

Studying physics at an older age can bring numerous benefits, including a broader perspective and life experience that can contribute to critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It can also provide a sense of accomplishment and fulfillment in pursuing a lifelong interest or passion.