C Programming Compiler for Windows Vista

In summary: There are definitely more resources out there now, but I'm not sure if they would be as good for C++.I'm not familiar with the programming resources in Linux or BSD, but I'm sure there are plenty of options out there.
lukesowersby
Hi,

At university we are using the Borland C++ 5.5 compiler, however, this does not work on Vista, which my home computer has.

I was therefore wondering what C program compiler everyone would recommend which works on Windows Vista?

Thanks,

Luke.

Technology news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. Downloading now...

You could also download Cygwin and use g++/gcc. Pair that with XEmacs or Notepad++ and you're in business.

http://www.cygwin.com/

Just for the archives.
If you want a Unix experience c compiler on Windows you should also look at http://www.mingw.org/ it's the same GCC+Gnu tools but calling the windows libs directly rather than through the cygwin->unix compatibility libs.

I use the C++ express for all of my projects. Very trustworthy compiler.

Matt

I've always used Dev-C++ to compile, and Notepad++ for the actual writing of code.

lukesowersby said:
At university we are using the Borland C++ 5.5 compiler,

Your university is using a nine-year-old compiler?! :bugeye:

jtbell said:
Your university is using a nine-year-old compiler?! :bugeye:
Until the free edition of VS came out it was about the only free IDE on windows.
C (rather than c++) hasn't changed much in 9 years and at the time Borland was a lot better than Microsoft (MSV6 argh) for standards compliance.

The full version of VS is available for all students. All you need is a valid .edu email.

DaleSwanson said:
I've always used Dev-C++ to compile, and Notepad++ for the actual writing of code.

That's a nice strategy.

What about programming resources in Linux or BSD?, there is Vim, Emacs or the KDE & GNOME IDEs but I'm not sure about them. Any suggestions please?

It's been a couple years since I used Linux, but when I did I was happy with Kdevelop.

1. What is a C Programming Compiler for Windows Vista?

A C Programming Compiler for Windows Vista is a software tool that allows developers to write, edit, and compile C programming language code on a Windows Vista operating system. It is used to translate the source code into machine code, which can then be executed by the computer.

2. Can I use any C compiler for Windows Vista?

Yes, there are many C compilers available for Windows Vista, both free and paid. Some popular options include Microsoft Visual Studio, Code::Blocks, and Dev-C++.

3. Is there a specific version of C that I need to use with a Windows Vista compiler?

No, you can use any version of C with a Windows Vista compiler. However, it is recommended to use a compiler that supports the latest version of C, as it may have additional features and improvements.

4. How do I install a C compiler on Windows Vista?

To install a C compiler on Windows Vista, you can download the compiler from its official website and follow the installation instructions. Some compilers may also have an automatic installation process, where you simply need to run the installer file.

5. Can I compile and run my C programs on Windows Vista without a compiler?

No, you need a C compiler to convert your source code into machine code that can be executed by the computer. Without a compiler, your C programs will not be able to run on Windows Vista.