Can I Build a Mechanical Turing Machine Using Everyday Materials?

In summary: I could add memory.In summary, the student attempted to build an entirely mechanical Turing machine, but found it to be too complex. They used Lego to build a model, and documented their project on a Lego of Doom blog. They suggest including error correction and a computer chip to store the transition table, but ultimately decided to use carboplast instead.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
As a summer project I was thinking of building an entirely mechanical Turing machine - possibly with Lego. Has anyone attempted this? Does anyone have any advice on how to design this?
Thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
daniel_i_l said:
As a summer project I was thinking of building an entirely mechanical Turing machine - possibly with Lego. Has anyone attempted this? Does anyone have any advice on how to design this?
Thanks.

That's a great idea... but, yes, it has been done, by students at Aarhus University. They have a blog about it, at Lego of Doom, including a video of it in operation.

Lego%20005.jpg

Cheers -- sylas

Yes, but they used a computer chip to store the transition table and compute the next state. I want mine to be entirely mechanical.

daniel_i_l said:
Yes, but they used a computer chip to store the transition table and compute the next state. I want mine to be entirely mechanical.

That would be very cool! Good luck.

Danny Hillis wrote about building a tinker toy computer, and if I recall correctly, he said it was a big mistake not to include error correction. Keep that in mind when you build yours. And do share your results!

Hi there, new to the forums, and I have a question...

What exactly is a turing machine? I saw it one here and visited wikipedia. Is it basically a device that can perform a logical sequence of instructions with or without the need for a computer processor. So a completely mechanical turing machine would run on some sort of fuel, but actions and triggers etc. would be mechanically stored somehow?, like via a complex series of gears or switches?

Glad to be hear and I would love to hear anyone's feedback.

peteyb said:
What exactly is a turing machine? I saw it one here and visited wikipedia. Is it basically a device that can perform a logical sequence of instructions with or without the need for a computer processor.

It's a mental experiment. There's no point* to building a 'standard' mechanical Turing machine, though every computer simulates one in a certain sense.

* Except for a cool project like this, of course.

sylas said:
That's a great idea... but, yes, it has been done, by students at Aarhus University. They have a blog about it, at Lego of Doom, including a video of it in operation.

Lego%20005.jpg

Cheers -- sylas

WoW I saw the video, so cool.

I would love to see the fully mechanical lego turing machine

I assume you are meaning a mechanical universal turing machine, in which case it sounds great :) If you get it done, please post videos of it working :)

I believe the analytic and difference engines designed by Babbage were entirely mechanical as well, although I don't think they were quite universal turing machines (namely, not completely general purpose).

Is a Turing machine the same as a universal Turing machine?

Phrak said:
Is a Turing machine the same as a universal Turing machine?

A universal turning machine is a set of transition tables for a turing machine. It means any other turing machine can then be encoded on to the tape, and simulated.

A concrete representation in lego becomes a universal machine given the right transition tables. If the transition table is maintained on a computer chip, as in the Aarhus machine, there is no problem making it into a universal turing machine, although actually encoding a non-trivial machine onto the lego tape might be too big. If the transition tables are maintained in lego as well, then the universal machine transition tables might be more than you'd like to build.

Cheers -- sylas

Yup, the other way of thinking of it is that a universal turing machine is able to act as though it were any other turing machine given the right input. If you encoded each turing machine as a number Tn then a universal turing machine U would act on an input U(n) after which it would function as Tn

It's basically what all computers emulate :) The encoding for a universal turing machine is pretty hefty though. I think I've seen a decimal encoding of a universal turing machine number (so an n in Tn specifying a universal turing machine) run on for several a5 pages.

I seem to recall some rendition of a UTM that required only 22 or 24 quintets. (I haven't looked at this stuff since Turing died.)

Last edited:
The main problem, as I see it, is where will you put the infinite-length tape?

Hi,
In the end lego was too expensive so I used carboplast, popsicle sticks, plastic bottles, rubber bands and a glue gun. Here's the result:

The turing machine in the movie can run down the track and flip bits according to a program determined by the wiring. Currently it can only execute simple programs because it doesn't have external memory. But that's theoretically simple to add because I'd just have to build another identical unit that operates on one bit only for each bit of memory.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Turing machine?

A Turing machine is a mathematical model of a hypothetical computing machine developed by Alan Turing in 1936. It is widely recognized as the foundation of modern computing and is used to understand the limitations of mechanical computation.

2. How does a Turing machine work?

A Turing machine consists of a tape divided into squares, a read-write head, and a set of rules that determine its behavior. The read-write head can move back and forth on the tape and read or write symbols on the squares. The rules define the possible actions the machine can take based on the current state and the symbol under the read-write head.

3. What is the significance of a Turing machine?

A Turing machine is significant because it provides a theoretical framework for understanding the concept of computation. It helps us to understand the limits of what can be computed and to analyze the complexity of algorithms. It also laid the foundation for the development of modern computers.

4. What are the components of a Turing machine?

A Turing machine has three main components: a tape, a read-write head, and a set of rules. The tape is divided into squares, each of which can hold a symbol. The read-write head can move back and forth on the tape, reading and writing symbols. The rules determine the actions that the machine can take based on the current state and the symbol under the read-write head.

5. Can real computers be modeled as Turing machines?

Yes, real computers can be modeled as Turing machines. While real computers may have additional components and complexity, they are still based on the same fundamental principles as a Turing machine. This means that anything that can be computed by a real computer can also be computed by a Turing machine.