Force of nail after being struck by a hammer

• Thread starter unteng10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the problem involves a 5lb hammerhead traveling at 5.4ft/s that strikes a nail and comes to a stop in 0.00081s. The equation used is F=Pf-Pi/delta T, with Pf and Pi representing final and initial momentum respectively. The mass of the hammerhead is assumed to be 5/32, and based on the given acceleration of gravity, the resulting momentum is 0.84375. The calculated force is -1041.67 N, but this cannot be a negative force. There may be a need to consider the direction of the forces and clarify the question of what force the nail received.
unteng10

Homework Statement

A 5lb hammerhead, traveling at 5.4ft/s strikes a nail and is brought to a stop in .00081s. The acceleration of gravity is 32ft/s^2, What force did the nail recieve?

Homework Equations

The equation I have is F=Pf-Pi/delta T. Both Pf and Pi have a arrow above them going to the right.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to find Pf and Pi, and P=mv. With that said would Pf be 0, since it comes to a stop, and Pi be (5lb)(5.4ft/s)? And I am guessing that delta T would .00081s?

Physics news on Phys.org
unteng10 said:

Homework Statement

A 5lb hammerhead, traveling at 5.4ft/s strikes a nail and is brought to a stop in .00081s. The acceleration of gravity is 32ft/s^2, What force did the nail recieve?

Homework Equations

The equation I have is F=Pf-Pi/delta T. Both Pf and Pi have a arrow above them going to the right.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to find Pf and Pi, and P=mv. With that said would Pf be 0, since it comes to a stop, and Pi be (5lb)(5.4ft/s)? And I am guessing that delta T would .00081s?

Welcome to PF.

The real question here is what is the mass of the hammerhead? Since they give you acceleration of 32ft/s2, then this suggests to me this is how much it weighs. So I would say you need to determine your mass as 5/32 and then multiply by your 5.4 to get your momentum and then proceed as you were apparently intending.

LowlyPion said:
Welcome to PF.

The real question here is what is the mass of the hammerhead? Since they give you acceleration of 32ft/s2, then this suggests to me this is how much it weighs. So I would say you need to determine your mass as 5/32 and then multiply by your 5.4 to get your momentum and then proceed as you were apparently intending.

So, p=mv which would be p=(5/32)(5.4) which equals .84375.
Then, F=Pf-Pi/delta T, which would be (0)-(.84375)/(.00081)-(0), which would equal -1041.67 N, but you can't have a negative force can you? Am I doing this right, or am I missing something?

unteng10 said:
So, p=mv which would be p=(5/32)(5.4) which equals .84375.
Then, F=Pf-Pi/delta T, which would be (0)-(.84375)/(.00081)-(0), which would equal -1041.67 N, but you can't have a negative force can you? Am I doing this right, or am I missing something?

Which direction did you choose as + ?
And what is the question asking?
What force did the nail recieve?
So if the impact of the hammer resulted in a (-) force to the hammer that sounds like it received an upward force and the nail received a downward force.

1. What is the force of a nail after being struck by a hammer?

The force of a nail after being struck by a hammer depends on the strength and speed of the hammer strike, as well as the type and size of the nail. It can also be influenced by the material the nail is being driven into.

2. How can the force of a nail after being struck by a hammer be measured?

The force of a nail can be measured using a force sensor or a force gauge. These tools can be attached to the hammer or the nail to accurately measure the force exerted during impact.

3. Does the angle of the hammer strike affect the force of the nail?

Yes, the angle of the hammer strike can affect the force of the nail. When the hammer strikes the nail at an angle, some of the force may be directed sideways instead of directly into the nail. This can result in a weaker overall force on the nail.

4. How does the force of the nail change over time after being struck by a hammer?

The force of the nail will decrease over time as the hammer's impact dissipates and the nail settles into its final position. The force may also decrease if the nail bends or breaks under the force of the hammer strike.

5. Can the force of a nail after being struck by a hammer cause injury?

Yes, the force of a nail after being struck by a hammer can cause injury if proper safety precautions are not taken. It is important to wear protective gear, like goggles and gloves, when using a hammer and nails to prevent any potential injuries from the force of impact.