Easy Acceleration / Friction question

In summary, Homework Equations state that the total force (in the direction of the slope) is equal to the mass times the acceleration. If the friction between the box and the roof is .15, then the box will move at an acceleration of .70 m/s2.
dglenn9000

Homework Statement

A roof has an incline of 10 degrees. If the µ of friction between a 50kg box and roof is .15, how fast will the box move?

Homework Equations

Ff=µ * Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to get this. I know it very easy.
I figured out Fg = 490N (Fg=9.8 * 50kg)
I figured out Fn = 482.56 (Fn=490 cos 10)
I figured out F//=85.09 (F//=490 sin 10)

I figured out the Acceleration with no friction is 1.70 m/s2 85.09/50

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi dglenn9000! Welcome to PF! :wink:
dglenn9000 said:
A roof has an incline of 10 degrees. If the µ of friction between a 50kg box and roof is .15, how fast will the box move?

Hint: just use good ol' Newton's second law …

total force (in the direction of the slope) = mass times acceleration :smile:

I have a questions : there is an air track and on that track there is a body at rest upon which acts a constant force for a given time it gains a velocity. My question is if that force acts again upon that body for that amount of time will the velocity be 2 times the first velocity? My opinion is that starting from Newtons law v=v0+at, but if we use two times this quation we obtain that v1=at+at=2v0. Am I right?

Welcome to PF!

Hi DIrtyPio! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(but please start a new thread in future)
DIrtyPio said:
… a constant force for a given time … if that force acts again upon that body for that amount of time will the velocity be 2 times the first velocity? My opinion is that starting from Newtons law v=v0+at, but if we use two times this quation we obtain that v1=at+at=2v0. Am I right?

yes, but it's better to look at it from the words of Newton's second law …

force = rate of change of momentum = mass times rate of change of velocity,

so (from the meaning of "rate of change") ∫force times time = mass times change of velocity. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi dglenn9000! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Hint: just use good ol' Newton's second law …

total force (in the direction of the slope) = mass times acceleration :smile:

That is how I got how fast it will move without friction.

a= F/m
1.70 m/s2= 85.09/50kg

But my question is how do I figure out the acceleration with friction of .15? Where do I apply the .15 in my equation?

Hi dglenn9000! :smile:

just woke up :zzz: …
dglenn9000 said:
… Where do I apply the .15 in my equation?

You multiply it by the normal force to get the (magnitude of the) friction force: Ffriction = µN.

You then chuck the friction force into the "total force" in Ftotal = ma :wink:

Hi everyone do you do any problems considering phyisc?

1. What is easy acceleration?

Easy acceleration refers to the increase in an object's velocity over time without much force or energy being applied. It is typically associated with objects moving in a straight line at a constant speed.

2. How is easy acceleration different from regular acceleration?

Easy acceleration is different from regular acceleration in that it does not require a significant amount of force or energy to increase an object's velocity. Regular acceleration often involves changes in direction or varying speeds, and requires a larger amount of force to be applied.

3. What is friction and how does it affect easy acceleration?

Friction is the force that opposes the movement of an object over a surface. It can affect easy acceleration by slowing down the object's speed and making it more difficult to achieve easy acceleration. Friction can be reduced by using smoother surfaces or lubrication.

4. Can easy acceleration be achieved in all types of motion?

Easy acceleration can only be achieved in linear motion, which means the object is moving in a straight line at a constant speed. It cannot be achieved in circular or rotational motion, as these types of motion require a force to change the direction of the object's movement.

5. How can easy acceleration be calculated?

Easy acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for easy acceleration is: a = (v2 - v1) / (t2 - t1), where a is acceleration, v is velocity, and t is time. This formula assumes that the acceleration is constant over the given time interval.