What was the bright flash I saw in the sky last night?

• Thread starter check
  • Start date
In summary, the speakers discuss their experiences with backyard astronomy and observing celestial events. One speaker describes seeing a bright flash and a faint star flare up in the Cygnus constellation. They question what it could have been, and another speaker suggests it was an Iridium flare. They also mention using forecasting programs to track these events and recommend watching for ISS passes as well.
check
Last night at around 11:00pm EST, I was outside doing some backyard astronomy. After looking at Jupiter for a little bit through my telescope I decided to do some ‘shooting star’ watching. I set up a lawn chair and looked up at the nice, clear sky. I saw a couple of faint meteors and a few satellites pass overhead. At around 11:30, after shifting position, now looking to the East, I saw a bright flash in the corner of my eye. I thought it had been a bright meteor that I had just missed so I turned to where I had seen it and just looked in that direction (in Cygnus). About 2 minutes later I saw, at least I THINK I saw, a faint star in Cygnus flare up very quickly in brightness and then die down. It only lasted about a second or two at the very most but it was bright enough for me to stand up and just stare in that direction out of disbelief for about 5 minutes. To me, it looked like it had gotten as bright as Jupiter was, which was on the opposite side of the sky. Anyway, after that, I went inside and got a pair of binoculars and looked at the star where I had seen it. But nothing seemed odd about it. I observed it for about 10 or 15 minutes, but it just looked normal.

Attached is a chart where I saw the flash.

Anyway, what the heck was it? Am I crazy? I do notice that I am prone to phosphenes [A sensation of light caused by excitation of the retina by mechanical or electrical means rather than by light, as when the eyeballs are pressed through closed lids. –Dictionary.com], but all the ones I’ve had didn’t at all look like what I experienced and didn’t last nearly as long.

Any help would be great, thanks!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Attachments

• flash1.GIF
    flash1.GIF
    5.9 KB · Views: 487
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thanks chroot! I guess that would make sense. I remember hearing about those things before, but I totally forgot.

Has anyone else seen one of those?
:smile:

I've seen a few, mostly by accident. A few people I know love them and use forecasting programs so that they can go out specifically looking for them.

- Warren

Wow! I just saw another one. I went to http://www.heavens-above.com and they have online forcasters for them. The one I just saw about 5 minutes ago was about a mag. -8. I think I found a new hobby. LoL

You might also want to consider watching for ISS passes -- they're pretty cool too!

- Warren

I've seen a couple of ISS passes. One with the shuttle docked, it was really neat. With binoculars you can see 2 bright points side by side. I'm assuming it was the 2 main solar panels.

1. What are some common things that people mistake for something else?

People often mistake drones, weather balloons, and planets for UFOs. Other common misidentifications include shooting stars, satellites, and even birds or insects flying in unusual patterns.

2. How can I tell if what I saw was a UFO?

The term UFO stands for "Unidentified Flying Object," so if you are unable to identify the object you saw, then it can be considered a UFO. However, it does not necessarily mean it is an alien spacecraft. It could have a reasonable explanation, such as a military aircraft or a natural phenomenon.

3. Is it possible that I saw a real alien spacecraft?

While there is no concrete evidence of extraterrestrial life visiting Earth, it is always a possibility. However, it is essential to approach any claims of alien sightings with a healthy dose of skepticism and to consider all possible explanations before jumping to conclusions.

4. What should I do if I see something strange in the sky?

If you see something unusual in the sky, the first thing you should do is try to take a photo or video of it. This can help provide evidence and assist in identifying the object. You can also report your sighting to a reputable UFO organization or your local authorities.

5. Why are there so many different explanations for what people see in the sky?

There are many possible explanations for what people see in the sky because there are many different objects that can appear unusual or unidentifiable. Additionally, our brains can often play tricks on us, making us see things that are not there. It is essential to consider all possible explanations and gather evidence before jumping to conclusions.