Table of Contents and List of Figures in Latex

In summary: Yes, but \tableofcontents control sequence list the auto numbered headings. I need to include the list of figure page, the list of table page, abstract, acknowledgment,..etc, and all of these are not auto numbered headings. How can I do that? There are two ways you can do this. The first way is to break the description of the figures into two or more paragraphs, and then include the paragraph numbers as the heading for the list of figures. The second way is to split the description of the figures into two or more lines, and then include the line numbers as the heading for the list of figures.\listoffigures gives you the list but I don't get your
EngWiPy
Hello,

1- How to do the table of contents like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=19799&stc=1&d=1248152270.jpg

2- In creating a list of figures, the long description of some figures does not appear as a whole. How to split the description of figures in the list of figures?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 10,750
Physics news on Phys.org
1. \tableofcontents

2. When you write your caption, you give two arguments
Code:
\caption[Short desc. for the List of Fig]{Long Desc. for the original caption}

trambolin said:
1. \tableofcontents

2. When you write your caption, you give two arguments
Code:
\caption[Short desc. for the List of Fig]{Long Desc. for the original caption}

Yes, but \tableofcontents control sequence list the auto numbered headings. I need to include the list of figure page, the list of table page, abstract, acknowledgment,..etc, and all of these are not auto numbered headings. How can I do that?

About the second point I didn't understand it very well, can you elaborate more in this point, and give me an example, please?

Furthermore, when I write \tableofcontents, the following error eppears:

attachment.php?attachmentid=19804&stc=1&d=1248177442.jpg

Why is this error? Even though I put it the first time it worked, but later on stopped working, I don't know why?!

Regards

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,935
To add the abstract to the table of contents,
Code:
\begin{abstract} 
\addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{\numberline{}Abstract}
Your abstract
\end{abstract}

D H said:
To add the abstract to the table of contents,
Code:
\begin{abstract} 
\addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{\numberline{}Abstract}
Your abstract
\end{abstract}

Actually, I am not using the abstract enviroment, so, is there any other method to do that? Further, I need a method to add the page of list of figures and list of tables.

But before all of that, I am facing the aforementioned problem in using the \tableofcontents control sequence. Can anyone help me in this please?

Regards

Do you mean by auto numbering, page numbering?

\listoffigures gives you the list but I don't get your problem. Also my second point is that when you want to include a figure in List of figures, sometimes the caption is too long then you can use what I tried to suggest above.

trambolin said:
Do you mean by auto numbering, page numbering?

\listoffigures gives you the list but I don't get your problem. Also my second point is that when you want to include a figure in List of figures, sometimes the caption is too long then you can use what I tried to suggest above.

I mean, when you dividing your article to chapters, sections, subsections, ..., etc, without the '*' character, these headings will be automatically numbered by the program, and hence will be included automatically in the ToC. But there are some page titles such as Abstract, Acknowledgement, ...,etc, do not have numbers, i.e.: they have no reference. The question was: how to include these titles in the ToC? Anyway, I figured it out, and it is for whom is concerned, the following control sequence which must be placed in its proper position:

Code:
\addcontentsline{toc}{subsection}{[I]title name[/I]}

For example if you want to include the title "ACKNOWLEDGEMENT" in the ToC and its page number, all you have to do is to place the above control sequence just after the last line of the acknowledgment page, by replacing the title name by ACKNOWLEDGEMENT.

About the figures, I saw some "articles" where the discription of the figures in the list of figures span more than one line. I strictly need to do this, because the requirements is to include the description as it is under the intended figure, like this example:

attachment.php?attachmentid=19831&stc=1&d=1248386525.jpg

Regards

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 2,175

What is a Table of Contents in Latex?

A Table of Contents in Latex is a list of all the sections, subsections, and subsubsections in a document, along with their page numbers. It serves as a navigational aid for readers to quickly find specific information in a document.

How do I create a Table of Contents in Latex?

To create a Table of Contents in Latex, you need to use the \tableofcontents command. This command should be placed where you want the table to appear, typically after the abstract and before the main body of the document. Make sure to run Latex twice to ensure that the table is updated with the correct page numbers.

What is a List of Figures in Latex?

A List of Figures in Latex is a list of all the figures, tables, and other objects in a document, along with their page numbers. It is typically placed after the Table of Contents and serves as a reference for readers to quickly locate specific figures in a document.

How do I create a List of Figures in Latex?

To create a List of Figures in Latex, you need to use the \listoffigures command. This command should be placed where you want the list to appear, typically after the Table of Contents. Just like with the Table of Contents, make sure to run Latex twice to update the list with the correct page numbers.

Can I customize the Table of Contents and List of Figures in Latex?

Yes, you can customize the Table of Contents and List of Figures in Latex. You can change the formatting, such as font size and style, and the depth of the table, which determines what levels of headings are included. You can also modify the captions of the figures and tables, as well as the labels used in the list. Refer to Latex documentation for more details on customization options.