Magnetic Field Flux of Neodymium Magnets

In summary, the conversation revolves around designing a power-producing system using magnetic induction. The confusion lies in understanding the relationship between magnetic flux density and the number of magnets used. The source of data used is cy-magnetics.com, which states that the flux density for neodymium magnets is between 1.0-1.4 teslas. The main question is whether adding more magnets increases the flux density, or if it remains constant based on the material. It is mentioned that saturation of the magnetic flux may occur with too many stacked magnets, leading to a minimal increase in flux density. The individual is seeking clarification on the concept of flux density and would appreciate any guidance on the topic.
sritter27
Greetings,

I am trying to figure out how I would design something that produces power using magnetic induction, but I think I've confused myself on some of the ideas and terms behind it. I found data on neodymium magnets from http://www.cy-magnetics.com/Mag_Pros_NdFeB.htm and it seems that the magnetic flux density is between 1.0-1.4 teslas. So, what I'm confused about is whether the flux density increases with each magnet you add to the system or if is just a constant based on the material and it doesn't matter how much material you have.

Intuitively it seems that the flux density would increase with more magnets, but I may just not understand what flux density really is. I've been trying to read more about it, but I think I've just confused myself more, so if anyone can set me straight on the matter, or at least point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
At some point stacking magnets adds very little to the flux density due to saturation of the magnetic flux.

1. What is a Neodymium magnet?

A Neodymium magnet is a type of permanent magnet made from an alloy of neodymium, iron, and boron. It is known for its strong magnetic field and is commonly used in various industrial and commercial applications.

2. How is the magnetic field flux of Neodymium magnets measured?

The magnetic field flux of Neodymium magnets is measured in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G). This measurement is used to indicate the strength of the magnetic field produced by the magnet.

3. What factors affect the magnetic field flux of Neodymium magnets?

The magnetic field flux of Neodymium magnets is affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the magnet, the composition of the alloy, and the temperature at which the magnet is operating.

4. How does the magnetic field flux of Neodymium magnets compare to other types of magnets?

Neodymium magnets have a significantly higher magnetic field flux than other types of magnets, such as ceramic or Alnico magnets. This makes them preferred for applications that require a strong and compact magnetic field.

5. Can the magnetic field flux of Neodymium magnets be increased?

The magnetic field flux of Neodymium magnets cannot be increased beyond its maximum limit. However, it can be increased by stacking multiple magnets together or by using special techniques, such as magnetization in a specific direction.