Comparing Planetary Orbits & Rotations in Pictured Figures

In summary: That angular momentum would cause the orbiting object to precess about the center of mass. The axis of precession would be the line connecting the centers of the 2 masses.
firavia
I want to know the difference between the 2 types of rotations shown in the picture attached .

planetary orbiting are similar to the second figure in the picture attached , all i want to know what is the difference between the 2 figures .

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 383
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this homework? What do you think the difference is?

it is not a homework , I am lost between 2 facts . in order to have a tilting while rotating there must be another force that is causing a moment about the center of the sphere , in one case it exist in the other it dosent , if for example a rocket that has a certain thrust pass by a planet it would be affected by the gravitationl force for of the planet , why the rocket would yaw while it starts revolving around the planet , and if it won't yaw than it will come to a point where the thrust force will be opposed to the gravitational force , which is not the case in orbiting object satelite or rocket or whatever , cause while they are orbiting they yaw naturally and their thrust force will become tangential to the trajectory , that's what am not understanding properly , why the rocket or anything that is orbiting would yaw while it is revolving ? the second figure in my added picture u saw that the orbiting obejct did not yaw ...

firavia said:
I want to know the difference between the 2 types of rotations shown in the picture attached .

planetary orbiting are similar to the second figure in the picture attached , all i want to know what is the difference between the 2 figures .

That isn't yaw, its appears to be precession. The 2nd one is 'spinning' on its axis and its axis is precessing like a top in a gravity field.

I don't know if the dot on the olive looking things are meant to be the axis of rotation, but if not, it just looks like in one drawing the olive looking things are rotating and in the other, they aren't. It looks kinda like the way the moon rotates...

firavia said:
why the rocket or anything that is orbiting would yaw while it is revolving ? the second figure in my added picture u saw that the orbiting obejct did not yaw ...
The body orbiting the more massive body would have had an initial angular momentum. Because gravity between widely separated bodies is a central force.

1. How do planetary orbits differ from planetary rotations?

Planetary orbits refer to the path that a planet takes around the sun, while planetary rotations refer to the spinning motion of a planet on its axis.

2. Are the orbits and rotations of all planets the same?

No, the orbits and rotations of planets can vary greatly. For example, some planets have elliptical orbits while others have nearly circular orbits. Similarly, some planets rotate very slowly while others rotate very quickly.

3. How do scientists compare planetary orbits and rotations in pictures?

Scientists use various techniques, such as mapping the position of a planet over time or studying the changes in its appearance, to compare planetary orbits and rotations in pictures.

4. Can planetary orbits and rotations change over time?

Yes, planetary orbits and rotations can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other objects, tidal forces, and internal changes within the planet.

5. Why is it important to study and compare planetary orbits and rotations?

Studying and comparing planetary orbits and rotations can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of our solar system, as well as other planetary systems. It can also help us understand the unique characteristics and behaviors of different planets.