Swapping Courses: How to Decide When Changing Majors

• Courses
  • Thread starter l'Hôpital
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary, the speaker initially signed up for an Engineering major due to their love for math, but changed their mind and wants to switch to a more rigorous treatment of Multivariable calculus. They are currently signed up for a Calculus III class but are considering trying to get permission for the honors track in order to take a more challenging class. The recommended textbook for the honors class is "Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms: A Unified Approach" by Hubbard, but they are concerned about their own proof skills and the difficulty of obtaining permission. The speaker is also advised to continually check the online errata file for this textbook.
l'Hôpital
Hello all.

So, let me explain my situation. Originally, I signed up for an Engineering major, figuring it was what I should do, since I liked math. So, I signed up for my classes, and it was all good. However, a lot of things happened over the summer. Things that've changed my views on the matter. I've realized now that trying to appeal to my love for math through Engineering was not smart and that I should change now while I can. Luckily, most of the classes are similar, so I only had to drop two classes (I was doing a double major so I had the math classes in already).

Currently, I have credit for Calc 1 and 2. I feel I have a strong base in these two from math competitions and the likes. However, I also understand that REAL Calculus it's not something you really learn from a book like Stewart, so I've been reading up Spivak's "Calculus" in order to reinforce my Calculus knowledge.

Currently, I'm signed up for Calculus III offered by the school's Engineering department. It's very technology based (lot of Mathematica) using the book "Vector Calculus" by Tromba and Marsden. I know the text is slightly more rigorous than others, but I still feel the class won't be as rigorous as I need it to be. Now, at my school, there is an honors track, but within the honors, they also have a side-track for Multivariable, a very rigorous treatment. Now, currently, I got screwed over through my application and didn't make it into honors college. However, I found out that you can sign up for honors classes if you obtain permission. For this particular class, however, you also need permission from the department as it requires "mathematical talent". In a sense, this worries me since my proof skills are a bit weak, and my exposure to rigorous math only goes as far as I've gotten in Spivak and some studying for things like the AMC or Mu Alpha Theta. And I don't want to go jump over multiple loops to obtain such a hard permission only to get owned and get a C.

I checked the book used by the class. It is "Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms: A Unified Approach" by Hubbard. This text itself was recommended to me if I wanted to pick up a more rigorous treatment of Multivariable, so the fact that it is the text for the class makes it seem perfect. So, I suppose the question is, should I try to get the permission and take the class? Should I just stick with what I have? Or should I take what I have currently and maybe switch later?

The last option seems good since it'd give me time to prove I have the "mathematical talent" (if I have it), but I don't know if I'd miss too much by the time I got in already.

So, what should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hubbard & Hubbard doesn't assume that you've seen rigorous math before -- they try to do everything from the ground up -- so I think you should try to get permission for the honors class ASAP, as long as you're willing to work *really* hard. Note: H & H is a great book, but if you use it, it's absolutely essential to continually check their online errata file, which at 36 (yes, thirty-six) pages is rather long for a 3rd edition, but corrects some really bad errors (such as their train wreck "proof" of the inverse function theorem), as well as trivial typo mistakes. Good luck!

I understand the importance of making informed decisions based on evidence and careful consideration. In this situation, it seems like you have already done some research and have a clear understanding of your strengths and weaknesses in mathematics. It is also great that you are taking the initiative to reinforce your calculus knowledge by reading Spivak's "Calculus."

Based on the information provided, it seems like you have a strong foundation in calculus and are looking for a more rigorous treatment in multivariable calculus. I would suggest exploring all of your options and gathering more information before making a decision. This could include talking to your academic advisor, speaking with students who have taken the honors track for multivariable calculus, or even reaching out to the professor teaching the class to get a better understanding of the expectations and content covered.

Additionally, it may be helpful to consider your long-term goals and how switching to the honors track for multivariable calculus may impact your academic and career plans. Will it provide you with a more challenging and rewarding academic experience? Will it open up potential opportunities for graduate school or certain careers? These are all important factors to consider.

Ultimately, the decision is yours and it's important to weigh all of your options carefully. Don't be afraid to seek guidance and advice from others, but ultimately trust your own judgement and what you feel will be the best fit for you. Good luck with your decision!

What factors should I consider when deciding to swap courses?

When deciding to swap courses, there are several factors that you should consider. These include your interests and passions, your long-term career goals, the job market for your desired major, the required courses and credits for the new major, and any potential financial implications.

Will swapping courses delay my graduation?

It is possible that swapping courses may delay your graduation, depending on the timing and requirements of your new major. However, it is important to remember that pursuing a major that aligns with your interests and goals can lead to greater academic success and career satisfaction in the long run.

How do I know if I am making the right decision?

Deciding to swap courses can be a difficult decision, but it is important to thoroughly research and reflect on your interests and goals. Consider talking to an academic advisor, speaking with students in the major you are considering, and even taking a class or two in the new major before making a final decision.

Can I change my major multiple times?

Yes, it is possible to change your major multiple times. However, keep in mind that each major change may delay your graduation and can have financial implications. It is important to carefully consider and research each potential major change to ensure it aligns with your interests and goals.

How can I make the process of swapping courses smoother?

To make the process of swapping courses smoother, it is important to plan ahead and communicate with your academic advisor. They can help you understand the requirements and potential implications of changing majors, as well as provide guidance on course selection and graduation timeline. It is also important to stay organized and keep track of any necessary paperwork or deadlines.