Show that ____ is a solution to the differential equation model?

In summary, the conversation is about a student trying to understand a problem involving a differential equation model of the motion of a spring. The specific problem is to show that x(t)=sin(sqrt(k/m)*t) + 2cos(sqrt(k/m)*t) is a solution to the model. The student is struggling to understand how to take the derivative and second derivative of this function and is asking for clarification. The expert provides guidance on using the chain rule and explains that the function can be simplified without substitution.
thename1000

Homework Statement

Trying to go over this part of my test review. I'm not understanding how to do this. The specific problem which I actually have worked out in my notes:

A diff equation model of the motion of a spring where x is displacement from the spring's natural length, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass as follows:

(d^2*x)/(d*t^2) = k/m * x

Show that x(t)=sin(sqrt(k/m)*t) + 2cos(sqrt(k/m)*t) is a solution to the model.

The Attempt at a Solution

My notes appear to take the first, then the second dir. of the second function there. But that's all I can make sense of. Maybe I'm not understanding how to take the dir of these functions I'm not sure.

For example on the second to the last line, how am I supposed to simplify -k/m (sin(sqrt(k/m)t) + 2cos (sqrt(k/m)t)

to

-k/mx

thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Because you just said that x=(sin(sqrt(k/m)t) + 2cos (sqrt(k/m)t) ?

Office_Shredder said:
Because you just said that x=(sin(sqrt(k/m)t) + 2cos (sqrt(k/m)t) ?

uhhh...thanks? Since somebody answered I won't get a real answer now. :(

Uhh... that was a real answer?
Show that x(t)=sin(sqrt(k/m)*t) + 2cos(sqrt(k/m)*t) is a solution to the model.

Notice how you assume that x is sin(sqrt(k/m)*t) + 2cos(sqrt(k/m)*t) to start your answer.

For example on the second to the last line, how am I supposed to simplify -k/m (sin(sqrt(k/m)t) + 2cos (sqrt(k/m)t)

to

-k/mx

Notice how you want to replace the bolded portion with x. Notice how x is assumed to be exactly the bolded portion.

Yes, I see what you're saying, sorry.

I gave the second to the last line as an example of how I don't fully understand the process.

To take the derivative or second derivative of the function do I sub something for sqrt(k/m)?

sin(u*t) + 2cos(u)*t

Like that?

You can but you should be able to use the chain rule without having to substitute like that. It is, after all, just a constant: the derivative of f(ax) is af '(ax).

1. What is a differential equation model?

A differential equation model is a mathematical representation of the relationship between a quantity and its rate of change. It is often used to describe how a system changes over time.

2. What does it mean to show that something is a solution to a differential equation model?

To show that something is a solution to a differential equation model, it means that the quantity in question satisfies the equation and accurately describes the behavior of the system over time.

3. How do you determine if something is a solution to a differential equation model?

You can determine if something is a solution to a differential equation model by substituting the quantity into the equation and verifying that it satisfies the equation for all values of the independent variable.

4. What is the significance of finding a solution to a differential equation model?

Finding a solution to a differential equation model is significant because it allows us to predict the behavior of a system over time. This is useful in many fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering.

5. Can there be multiple solutions to a differential equation model?

Yes, there can be multiple solutions to a differential equation model. In fact, most differential equations have an infinite number of solutions. However, some models may have unique solutions depending on the initial conditions and constraints.