What is the Origin of Tension Force?

In summary: Tension force, also known as tensile force, is a type of force that arises when two bodies tied to each other are pulled apart. It can originate from various sources, such as physical, emotional, or even electromagnetic forces. The origin of tension force is often related to the concept of intermolecular force, which is the force that holds molecules together and prevents them from flying apart when a tension force is applied. Overall, tension force is a pulling force that can be observed in various situations, from a string being pulled to the tension we feel in our bodies after a hard day.
phymatter
What is a tension force ? Where does it originate from ?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It originates in your brain. The tension after a hard day can get quite painful. I sometimes have some tension in my shoulders and back. What about you? I am kidding.

I believe you mean the tension in a corde. I might not get your question completely, but it originates from a pulling force on the corde. A tension is developed when two bodies tied to each are pulled apart.

Cheers

Tension(in a rope or string most probably) is an electromagnetic force........!
Now u know how electromagnetic forces generate...

Tension(in a rope or string most probably) is an electromagnetic force
can you expand a bit ! or else give me some link on the net to refer to , i was unable to find something on the origin of tension on the net :( .

phymatter said:
can you expand a bit ! or else give me some link on the net to refer to , i was unable to find something on the origin of tension on the net :( .
I read it in my high school physics bible : Concepts of physics by HC Verma
but i can't find too much on net based on it's origin...

Tension/tensile is the label given to the force that wants to pull things apart, or stretch them. It is the 'pulling' force.

Regarding the responce above, the electromagnetic force is NOT tension. The intermolecular force is what stops all the molecules flying apart when you apply tension.

The question where does it originate from doesn't acutally make sense in this context. Could you clarify what you mean by this?
In the most basic sense, a force is the phenomenon that occurs when one body acts on another.

Last edited:

1. What is a tension force?

A tension force is a type of force that acts on an object when it is pulled or stretched by another object. It is a reaction force that occurs when an object is attached to a rope, string, or any other type of stretched material.

2. How is tension force different from other types of forces?

Tension force is different from other types of forces because it is always directed along the length of the object, in the opposite direction of the pulling force. Other types of forces, such as gravity or friction, can act in different directions and have different effects on an object.

3. What are some real-life examples of tension force?

Some real-life examples of tension force include a person pulling a wagon, a car being towed by a truck, a string being pulled to launch a kite, and a person holding onto a rope while rock climbing.

4. How is tension force calculated?

Tension force is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity and adding any other forces acting on the object in the same direction. This can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is the tension force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

5. Why is tension force important in engineering and physics?

Tension force is important in engineering and physics because it helps us understand how objects behave when they are being pulled or stretched. It is also a crucial factor in designing structures, such as bridges and buildings, as engineers must consider the tension forces acting on the materials to ensure their safety and stability.