Fluid Mechanics Internal Flow Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about calculating pressure drop in a circular pipe with turbulent flow at a given Reynolds number. It is noted that additional information, such as relative roughness and flow rate, is needed to accurately calculate the friction factor and pressure drop. The discussion also confirms that for laminar flow, the friction factor can be calculated with just the Reynold's number, while for turbulent flow, the relative roughness and Reynold's number are needed.
thrillhouse86
Hey all,

I know that it is forbidden to post homework questions here, this is a question off a past exam, so I'm hope asking this is Kosher.

A question says:
"For a circular pipe of 6cm diameter, what is the expected pressure drop per unit length due to frictional losses, at a Reynolds number of 10000"

Obviously this is a turbulent flow question, so the Poiseulle flow friction factor can't be used. But given that no density, viscosity or friction factor information is given (I know density and viscosity are buried in the Reynolds number) how the hell do you work this out ?

Does anyone have any ideas ? because I'm starting to think that some additional information was left off ...

Also - can someone verify this for me:
For Laminar flow you can work out the friction factor just with knowledge of the Reynolds number
For Turbulent flow you need to know the roughness, viscosity & density to work out pressure drops

Cheers,
Thrillhouse

Physics news on Phys.org
thrillhouse86 said:
Hey all,

I know that it is forbidden to post homework questions here, this is a question off a past exam, so I'm hope asking this is Kosher.

A question says:
"For a circular pipe of 6cm diameter, what is the expected pressure drop per unit length due to frictional losses, at a Reynolds number of 10000"

Obviously this is a turbulent flow question, so the Poiseulle flow friction factor can't be used. But given that no density, viscosity or friction factor information is given (I know density and viscosity are buried in the Reynolds number) how the hell do you work this out ?

Does anyone have any ideas ? because I'm starting to think that some additional information was left off ...

The friction factor for turbulent flow is dependent on the relative roughness as well, so you will need to know that.

The frictional losses are proportional to the velocity squared. So you'll need to know the flowrate as well.

CS

thrillhouse86 said:
Also - can someone verify this for me:
For Laminar flow you can work out the friction factor just with knowledge of the Reynolds number
For Turbulent flow you need to know the roughness, viscosity & density to work out pressure drops

For laminar flow, yes, you can use f = 64/Re

For turbulent flow you need the relative roughness and Reynold's number.

Note that the Reynold's number can use either the dynamic viscosity and density or just the kinematic viscosity (both need the velocity and diameter though).

CS

1. What is internal flow in fluid mechanics?

Internal flow in fluid mechanics refers to the movement of a fluid within a closed system, such as a pipe or duct. This flow can be either laminar (smooth and orderly) or turbulent (chaotic and irregular).

2. What factors affect the flow of a fluid in an internal system?

The flow of a fluid in an internal system is affected by several factors, including the viscosity of the fluid, the velocity of the flow, the size and shape of the system, and the roughness of the walls of the system.

3. How do you calculate the velocity of a fluid in an internal flow system?

The velocity of a fluid in an internal flow system can be calculated using the continuity equation, which states that the mass flow rate of a fluid is constant at any given point in the system. This equation takes into account the density and cross-sectional area of the flow.

4. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is characterized by smooth and orderly movement of a fluid, with all particles following a parallel path. Turbulent flow, on the other hand, is chaotic and irregular, with particles moving in random directions and creating eddies and swirls in the flow.

5. How does the Reynolds number impact internal flow in fluid mechanics?

The Reynolds number is a dimensionless quantity that determines whether the flow of a fluid is laminar or turbulent. It is calculated by dividing the product of the velocity, length, and density of the fluid by the viscosity. A low Reynolds number indicates laminar flow, while a high Reynolds number indicates turbulent flow.