Joining a Student Satellite Project: How Can I Contribute?

In summary, a team of students from the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, along with professors and researchers from various institutions, are building a satellite. They are looking to expand their team and the speaker, a second year biotechnology student, wants to join as a member. They are seeking advice on which subsystem of the satellite program they should register for, given the overlap of their biotechnology courses with computer science, applied mechanics, electronics, and other engineering courses. The available subsystems are Altitude Determination and Control System, Communication System, Electrical Power System, Onboard Computing and Data Management System, Structures and Thermal Control System, Payload - Magnetometer, and Payload - High Energy Particle Detector. More information can be found on the
dharavsolanki
Let me put the facts first: -

A students team from my college is building a satellite, under guidance from professors and research institutes. The students belong to the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras and the professors/mentors/contribtors are from varied institutions like IIT-M, TIFR, ISRO and others.

They have planned to expand the team and I want to join them as a member, mainly because I want to be involved in a multi disciplinary project right now. My problem is, I am a second year student for a B. Tech. program in biotechnology, and there is no direct contribution that knowledge from my branch can provide to the project.

However, I DO know that there is some overlap in or Biotech courses (dwelving into computer science, applied mechanics and electronics) and the CS/Electronics and electrical engineering/Material Sciences courses.

So, My question, in a nutshell, is... What subsystem of the satellite program should i register for?

I am posting additional information in a new post.

Engineering news on Phys.org

The subsystems that I can work on in the satellite programme are: -

* Altitude Determination and Control System
* Communication System
* Electrical Power System
* Onboard Computing and Data Management System
* Structures and Thermal Control System
* Payload - Magnetometer
* Payload - High Energy Particle Detector

Additional details of the program/subsystems can be viewed on www.indianphysicists.com[/url]. Direct link - [PLAIN]http://indianphysicists.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63&Itemid=57

My Biotech Corse has the following course topics, this is not an exhaustive list,

* Biochemistry
* Genetics and Molecular Biology
* Reaction Engineering Fundamentals
* Transport Processes and Unit Operations
* Analytical Techniques in Biotechnology
* Genetic Engineering
* Biochemical Engineering
* Bioinformatics
* Structural Biology
* Immunology
* Plant Biotechnology

Last edited by a moderator:

I would encourage you to join the student satellite project as it offers a unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience in a diverse and interdisciplinary project. Your background in biotechnology may not seem directly related to the project, but as you have mentioned, there are areas of overlap that could potentially be beneficial to the project. Additionally, your contribution can go beyond your specific field and can involve skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and teamwork, which are essential in any scientific project.

In terms of which subsystem you should register for, I would suggest exploring all the different subsystems and their requirements to determine where your skills and knowledge can be best utilized. You can also consult with the professors and mentors involved in the project to get their input and guidance on which subsystem would be a good fit for you.

Remember, being a part of a multidisciplinary project like this can also provide you with valuable learning opportunities and exposure to new fields, which can be beneficial for your future career in science. So I would encourage you to take on this challenge and contribute to the student satellite project in any way you can. Good luck!

1. What qualifications do I need to join a student satellite project?

To join a student satellite project, you typically need to have a strong background in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) fields. This could include a degree or coursework in areas such as physics, aerospace engineering, computer science, or mathematics. Additionally, some projects may require specific skills or experience, such as programming, electronics, or mechanical design.

2. How much time commitment is required to participate in a student satellite project?

The time commitment for a student satellite project can vary depending on the specific project and your role within it. Generally, you can expect to spend several hours a week working on the project, attending meetings, and completing assigned tasks. Some projects may also require additional time during crunch periods, such as leading up to a launch or critical testing phase.

3. Is there an age limit for joining a student satellite project?

Most student satellite projects are open to undergraduate and graduate students, so there is typically no age limit. However, some projects may have specific requirements, such as being enrolled in a certain level of education or being within a certain age range. It's best to check with the project organizers for specific age requirements.

4. Can I join a student satellite project if I am not studying a STEM subject?

While many student satellite projects prioritize students with a background in STEM subjects, there may still be opportunities for students with other areas of study to contribute. For example, if you are studying communications or graphic design, you may be able to help with outreach and marketing for the project. It's worth reaching out to the project organizers to see if there are any ways you can contribute your skills.

5. Will I receive any compensation for my contributions to a student satellite project?

Most student satellite projects are run on a volunteer basis, so you should not expect to receive monetary compensation for your contributions. However, the experience and skills you gain from participating in a project can be valuable for your future career. Some projects may also offer academic credit or stipends for certain roles, so it's best to check with the project organizers for any potential compensation opportunities.