What is the Secondary Side Current in a Transformer-Based Energy Meter Design?

In summary, the conversation is about building an energy meter and the question of how much current is flowing on the secondary side of the voltage channel. The person is using a transformer and voltage dividing resistors to step down the voltage, but there is no load connected to the transformer. The purpose of the energy ic is to measure 3 phase power with inputs from each phase. It is clarified that a current transformer is needed for accurate measurement of power consumption.
harshasunder
Hi
Im building an energy meter and I have a doubt about the voltage channel I am using to measure voltage. Basically there is a transformer that is connected between line and neutral and on the secondary side, there is voltage dividing resistor circuit to step down the voltage to the levels needed for the energy ic. The question is, how much current is flowing on the secondary side?The actual wires that I am measuring the energy from are using huge currents, 60 A etc but since there's no load connected to the transformer (Im not even using the transformer to power the Ic), there's only a current that depends on the resistors used for voltage dividing flowing on the secondary side right?
any comments would be welcome
Thanks
Harsha

Engineering news on Phys.org
I haven't understood what this "energy ic" does.
The current in your "secondary side" depends just on the resistors you choose to put there and the secondary voltage. This seems so obvious that I feel I must have missed something. Have I?
If you want to measure the power consumed then you also need a current transformer in series with your 60A cable.

hi
thanks for replying
the energy ic is an ade7752B analog device ic. It measures 3 phase power if you feed it voltage and current inputs from each phase. Yes, i know you need a current transformer, I just didnt mention it.
I wanted to be sure about the current on the secondary side and so the question. thanks for the reply, I am now more confident of my design.
thanks
Harsha

1. What is a transformer and what does it do?

A transformer is an electrical device that is used to change the voltage of an alternating current (AC) electrical supply. It works by using two or more coils of wire, known as windings, to transfer energy between them. This allows for the voltage of an AC supply to be increased or decreased, depending on the number of windings in each coil.

2. How does a transformer work?

A transformer works on the principle of electromagnetic induction. When an AC current flows through one of the windings, it creates a changing magnetic field. This changing magnetic field then induces a current in the other winding, resulting in the transfer of energy between the two coils.

3. What is load and how does it affect transformers?

In the context of transformers, load refers to the amount of power that is being drawn from the transformer. The load can vary depending on the electrical devices connected to the transformer. A higher load will result in a greater amount of energy being transferred through the transformer, which can cause it to heat up and potentially affect its performance.

4. What are the different types of transformers?

There are two main types of transformers: step-up transformers and step-down transformers. Step-up transformers increase the voltage of an AC supply, while step-down transformers decrease the voltage. There are also different types of transformers based on their construction, such as air-core, iron-core, and toroidal transformers.

5. What are some common uses of transformers?

Transformers are used in a variety of electrical systems, including power plants, electrical substations, and household appliances. They are also used in electronic devices, such as computer power supplies, to convert AC power to DC power. Additionally, transformers are used in the transmission and distribution of electricity to increase or decrease voltages for efficient delivery over long distances.