Series converge/ diverges. determine sum of series

• Thread starter mattmannmf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series Sum
In summary, the series {Sigma} 2/n(n+2) converges and its sum is 3/2. This was determined analytically using partial fractions and telescoping form.
mattmannmf
Determine if the series converges or diverges ad if it converges then determine the sum of the series analytically:

infinity
{Sigma} 2/n(n+2)
n=1

so i used partial fractions and got:
{Sigma} [1/n + 1/(n+2)]

then i used telescoping form to get the nth partial sum...
Sn= (1/1 + 1/3) + (1/2 + 1/4) +...

then i got the nth partial sum to be = 1+1/(n+2)

so the series converges and its sum is 1?

Does that seem right to everyone?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First, this is in the wrong section, I believe. It should go in the homework and coursework area.

Second, yes. However, be careful...

As you did the work wrong, and yet got the right answer. The partial fraction decomposition for [itex]\frac{2}{(n)(n+2)}[/itex] isn't quite what you posted. Can you see the error?

oh ok. i thought this was the homework and course area.

yea its supposed to be subtraction, not addition. i got 3/2 to be the sum of the series

There you go.

You win...

I would say that your approach seems sound and your conclusion is correct. However, it is always important to check your work and make sure that your solution is mathematically valid. In this case, you could also use the Ratio Test or the Comparison Test to confirm that the series converges. Additionally, you could also use a computer program or calculator to calculate the sum of the series and compare it to your analytical solution. Overall, your method is a valid way to determine the convergence and sum of the given series.

1. What is the difference between a convergent and divergent series?

A convergent series is one where the sum of all its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. A divergent series is one where the sum of all its terms either approaches infinity or does not approach a finite value.

2. How do you determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

There are several methods for determining the convergence or divergence of a series, such as the comparison test, ratio test, and integral test. These methods involve evaluating the behavior of the terms in the series to see if they approach zero or a constant value as the number of terms increases.

3. Can a series converge and diverge at the same time?

No, a series can only converge or diverge, it cannot do both. However, it is possible for a series to have some subseries that converge and others that diverge.

4. What is the sum of a convergent series?

The sum of a convergent series is the finite value that the series approaches as the number of terms increases. This value can be calculated by adding up all the terms in the series, or by using specific formulas or techniques for certain types of series.

5. Is there a way to determine the exact sum of a series?

In some cases, such as for geometric or telescoping series, there are formulas or techniques that can be used to determine the exact sum of a series. However, for most series, it is not possible to find an exact sum and we can only approximate it to a certain degree of accuracy.