PLease help me - The Petrol engine and the first cars

• Thread starter Darkplayer01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars Engine
In summary, the conversation revolved around a student's plea for help with their physics assignment on the first petrol engine and cars made between 1887-1912. The student needed to find scientific problems that could be solved using either the inductive or deductive method. Suggestions were made to focus on specific engine systems and compare how they were addressed in the past versus today. The conversation also touched on the history of fuel and the development of different types of engines. Other suggestions were given, such as researching the technology firsts for Chrysler and Dodge vehicles.
Darkplayer01
I'm working on a really important physics assignment and i am in deperate need of help!

I need to find some scientific problems with reference to the first petrol engine and the some of the first cars ever made (1887-1912). I have to present some problems which i am to solve later on.

The problems need to be formulated so that they can be solved by either the inductive or the deductive way.

Please guys I'm begging you! Please help me!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Which came first petrol or the petrol engine?

Studiot said:
Which came first petrol or the petrol engine?

petrol...

I think that may have been a suggestion for your discussion, rather than just a question to be answered!

How about picking one of the key engine systems, looking at how they're currently addressed, and how these challenges were met "back in the day". For example, how did the ignition systems on early vehicles work? How did the fuel system work? What about transmission? Or the internals of the engine itself?

I was thinking about some thermodynamic and aerodynamic?

Steam engines came first and the fuel was just lying around.

Then came Diesel engines, then petrol engines.

My suggestion was indeed serious where did the fuel come from?

You have received some other good suggestions as well.

How was the engine started? Compression ratio?
How were they cooled?
How did the fuel get into the engine?
How was the speed controlled?

Here is a website that has "technology firsts" for mopars (Chrysler, Dodge, etc)

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/technology.html

some of the "firsts" are interesting
rubber mounts, steering wheel, hydraulic brakes

dr

1. How does a petrol engine work?

A petrol engine works by converting gasoline into energy. The fuel is mixed with air and is ignited by a spark from the spark plug. This combustion creates a small explosion, which pushes a piston down and turns the crankshaft, ultimately creating the power needed to move a vehicle.

2. Who invented the first petrol engine?

The first petrol engine was invented by German engineer Nikolaus Otto in 1876. It was a four-stroke internal combustion engine, which laid the foundation for modern petrol engines used in cars today.

3. What was the first car powered by a petrol engine?

The first car powered by a petrol engine was the Benz Patent-Motorwagen, invented by Karl Benz in 1885. It had a single-cylinder four-stroke engine and could reach a top speed of 10 miles per hour.

4. How has the petrol engine evolved over time?

Since its invention in the late 1800s, the petrol engine has undergone many changes and improvements. This includes the addition of a carburetor to mix the fuel and air, the use of multiple cylinders for increased power, and the development of fuel injection systems for better fuel efficiency.

5. Are petrol engines still used in cars today?

Yes, petrol engines are still widely used in cars today. They have become more efficient and environmentally-friendly through advancements in technology, such as hybrid and electric powertrains. However, petrol engines remain a popular choice for their affordability and widespread availability of gasoline fuel.