Understanding Joule's Law and Power: How Does It Relate to Heat and Resistance?

• Thread starter I&Tstudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Power
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between Joule's heat and power, and how they relate to energy and total resistance in series and parallel circuits. It also mentions Joule's law and how the heat generated by a constant current is proportionate to resistance. The discussion also touches on the concept of power as the rate of change of energy.
I&Tstudent
Hello, i want to ask 2 questions:
1-what is the difference between joule's heat and power?
2-We have 2 different resistors.How joule's heat ,which is created in them, will change if they connect to a steady voltage source:(a)in series,(b)in parallel
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts on the subject?

Is Joule's heat just energy or something else? How does energy relate to power?

Also, how is total resistance affected when resistors are in series/parallel?

total resistance in series is Rt=R1+R2+...+Rn and in parallel 1/Rt=1/R1+1/R2+...+1/Rn.
Joule's law sais Q=I^2*R*t where Q the heat generated by a constant current.If (I) and (t) are constant Q is proportionate to R so in series Q will increase more than when the resistors are in parallel.Correct?

I&Tstudent said:
total resistance in series is Rt=R1+R2+...+Rn and in parallel 1/Rt=1/R1+1/R2+...+1/Rn.
Joule's law sais Q=I^2*R*t where Q the heat generated by a constant current.If (I) and (t) are constant Q is proportionate to R so in series Q will increase more than when the resistors are in parallel.Correct?

Wouldn't the total resistance in parallel be less than in series?

rock.freak667 said:
Wouldn't the total resistance in parallel be less than in series?
thats what i said

I&Tstudent said:
thats what i said

Sorry I read that incorrectly. But you are correct.

and remember that power is the rate of change of energy.

1. What is Joule's law?

Joule's law, also known as Ohm's law, states that the amount of current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor. It is represented by the equation V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

2. How does Joule's law relate to power?

Joule's law is directly related to power, as power is the rate at which energy is transferred or converted. In the context of Joule's law, power is equal to the product of voltage and current, or P = VI.

3. Can Joule's law be applied to all types of circuits?

Yes, Joule's law can be applied to all types of circuits, including both simple and complex circuits. It is a fundamental law of physics that governs the behavior of electrical circuits.

4. How does resistance affect the power dissipated in a circuit?

The power dissipated in a circuit is directly proportional to the resistance of the circuit. This means that as resistance increases, the power dissipated also increases. This is because a higher resistance causes more energy to be converted to heat, resulting in a greater amount of power dissipated.

5. What are some real-life applications of Joule's law and power?

Joule's law and power have various real-life applications, including in the design and operation of electrical devices such as light bulbs, heaters, and motors. They are also used in electrical engineering for designing and analyzing circuits, as well as in renewable energy systems to optimize power generation and distribution.