Coupled oscillators - mode and mode co-ordinates

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking an explanation for a concept related to a problem involving two masses connected by springs. The worked solutions provided demonstrate that when the system is in mode 1, the quantity (x2 - x1) is always zero, and (x1 + x2) varies harmonically. The student asks for clarification on the variables q1 and q2 and their relation to m and x. The expert explains that q1 and q2 are defined as \sqrt{\frac{m}{2}}\left( \psi_{2}+\psi_{1} \right) and \sqrt{\frac{m}{2}}\left( \psi_{2}-\psi_{1} \right
joriarty
For this question I'm not going to introduce the particular problem I am working on, rather, I am merely wanting some explanation of a concept which I can't seem to find in any of my textbooks. I suspect the authors think it is just too obvious to bother explaining :smile:.

I'm revising for a test and have the full worked solutions for this problem in front of me. I can follow the mathematics, but not the reasoning behind it.

The question:

Two masses M1 and M2 are connected by springs as in my expertly drawn diagram attached.

Show that the amplitude of the displacement of the masses is described by expressions of the form:
[tex]\psi _{1}\left( t \right)=A_{0}\cos \omega _{+}t[/tex]
[tex]\psi _{2}\left( t \right)=A_{0}\cos \omega _{+}t[/tex]

My worked solutions now say:

Notice that when the system is in mode 1, the quantity (x2 - x1) is always zero, and (x1 + x2) varies harmonically. In mode 2 the reverse is true. Let us define a set of variables:

[tex]q_{1}=\sqrt{\frac{m}{2}}\left( \psi _{2}+\psi _{1} \right)\; -->\; \dot{q}_{1}=\sqrt{\frac{m}{2}}\left( \dot{\psi }_{2}+\dot{\psi }_{1} \right)[/tex]
[tex]q_{2}=\sqrt{\frac{m}{2}}\left( \psi _{2}-\psi _{1} \right)\; -->\; \dot{q}_{2}=\sqrt{\frac{m}{2}}\left( \dot{\psi }_{2}-\dot{\psi }_{1} \right)[/tex]

My question:

What exactly are q1 and q2, and why should these be equal to [tex]\sqrt{\frac{m}{2}}\left( \psi_{2}+\psi_{1} \right)[/tex] etc? Why [tex]\sqrt{\frac{m}{2}}[/tex]? Is there a more specific name for this law that I could look up?

I hope my question is easily understandable! Thank you for your help.

(note: for the sets of equations relating q1 and q2 to m and x, there should be a "≡" sign rather than an "=" sign - for some reason my TEX formatting comes out with "8801;" rather than a "≡" sign. Odd.)

Attachments

• springdiagram.png
    springdiagram.png
    1 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Formulae now fixed. I hope. Sorry if I confused anyone while I was editing things

1. What is a coupled oscillator?

A coupled oscillator is a system of two or more oscillators that are connected or linked in some way, such as through a spring or through a shared energy source. These oscillators interact with each other and can influence each other's motion.

2. What are modes in coupled oscillators?

Modes in coupled oscillators refer to the distinct patterns or ways in which the oscillators move together. Each mode has a specific frequency and amplitude of motion, which is dependent on the parameters of the system and the initial conditions.

3. How are modes and mode co-ordinates related?

Mode co-ordinates are a way of describing the motion of coupled oscillators in terms of their modes. They represent the amplitudes of each mode, allowing us to analyze and understand the behavior of the system in a more simplified way.

4. What is the importance of studying coupled oscillators and their modes?

Coupled oscillators and their modes are important in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, biology, and chemistry. They can help us understand and predict the behavior of complex systems, and have practical applications in areas such as energy harvesting and signal processing.

5. How can we control the modes in coupled oscillators?

The modes in coupled oscillators can be controlled by manipulating the parameters of the system, such as the strength of the coupling or the frequencies of the individual oscillators. External forces can also be applied to change the modes, allowing for potential applications in controlling and stabilizing systems.