Understanding the Levi-Civita Symbol and Commutators in Quantum Mechanics

• Thread starter vertices
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutators
In summary, The conversation is discussing the equation \Sigma^k=\frac{i}{2} \epsilon_{kij} [\gamma^i , \gamma^j] and how it relates to the values of \Sigma^1. The person notes that their notes say \Sigma^1=2i \gamma^2\gamma^3 but they believe it should equal \Sigma^1=\frac{i}{2}\epsilon_{123}[\gamma^2,\gamma^3] + \frac{i}{2}\epsilon_{132}[\gamma^3,\gamma^2]. However, they later realize that this is not true and explain why. They mention that the equation \gamma^\mu\gamma^\nu = -\
vertices
Sorry for spamming the forums, but one last question for today!

If

[tex]\Sigma^k=\frac{i}{2} \epsilon_{kij} [\gamma^i , \gamma^j][/tex]

where [A,B]=AB-BA

Why does [tex]{\Sigma^1=2i \gamma^2\gamma^3[/tex] (that's what my notes say, anyway)

I think it should equal:

[tex]\Sigma^1=\frac{i}{2}\epsilon_{123}[\gamma^2,\gamma^3] + \frac{i}{2}\epsilon_{132}[\gamma^3,\gamma^2] [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{i}{2}(+1)}[\gamma^2,\gamma^3] + \frac{i}{2}(-1)(-[\gamma^2,\gamma^3])[/tex]
[tex] =i[\gamma^2,\gamma^3] [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Disregard that question - I've just worked it out. For anyone who's interested: it's because

[tex]
=\gamma^\mu\gamma^\nu = -\gamma^\nu\gamma^\mu
[/tex]

vertices said:
Disregard that question - I've just worked it out. For anyone who's interested: it's because

[tex]
=\gamma^\mu\gamma^\nu = -\gamma^\nu\gamma^\mu
[/tex]
that is not true, it is only true for the "spatial" components, for the time component: gamma^0 gamma^0 = gamma^0 gamma^0 = 1

Last edited:

1. What is the Levi-Civita symbol and how is it used in commutators?

The Levi-Civita symbol, denoted by ε, is a mathematical symbol used to describe the sign of a permutation. In commutators, the Levi-Civita symbol is used to represent the cross product between two vectors, where the symbol determines the direction and magnitude of the resulting vector.

2. What is a commutator and how does it relate to Levi-Civita?

A commutator is an operator used in mathematics to measure the extent to which two operations, A and B, do not commute. In other words, it measures how much the order of operations affects the final result. The Levi-Civita symbol is often used in the calculation of commutators, as it helps to determine the sign and direction of the resulting vector.

3. Can the Levi-Civita symbol be used in higher dimensions?

Yes, the Levi-Civita symbol can be extended to higher dimensions. In three dimensions, it is represented by a 3x3 matrix, but in higher dimensions, it is represented by a higher-order tensor. The properties and uses of the symbol also extend to higher dimensions.

4. How is the Levi-Civita symbol related to the determinant of a matrix?

The Levi-Civita symbol is closely related to the determinant of a matrix. In fact, the determinant can be thought of as the "generalized" Levi-Civita symbol for a square matrix. Both the determinant and the Levi-Civita symbol are used to describe the orientation and volume of a given set of vectors.

5. Are there any practical applications of Levi-Civita and commutators in science?

Yes, there are several practical applications of Levi-Civita and commutators in science. They are commonly used in electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and fluid mechanics to describe and calculate various physical phenomena. They are also used in differential geometry and general relativity to study the curvature of space-time.