Is the evolution of our technology and medicine leading to de-evolution ?

In summary, the advances in technology and medicine are leading to a gradual 'de-evolution' of the human species, but this won't have any negative effects on our long-term survival.
Null_
Is the evolution of our technology and medicine leading to "de-evolution"?

First off, I have a very limited biology background, so I apologize now. Secondly, it's hard to show emotion through typing; what I'm saying in not meant to be derogatory or offensive to anyone.

Survival of the fittest slowly changes the genetic coding of the species at large, tweaking it here and there to constantly make it better adapted. In our human world today, people can wear glasses and contacts to correct vision, makeup and fancy clothes to correct appearances, get surgery to correct physical defects, and many other things like that thanks to the advances of medicine and technology. However, no part of their genetic code is changed. Why would the code need to be changed to correct vision if it thinks that it is perfectly fine [due to the superficial glasses]. This concept can be applied to all of the above, as well as many other examples...why does nature need to correct anything, and even more importantly, how does nature know that there is a problem if the person is able to live a normal life? In earlier times and in the uncivilized areas of other animals, plants, microbes, etc., these physically inferior individuals would die early or not mate. But in our society they can live a normal life, and pass their genes onto the next generation.

I guess my question is this...are the advances in technology and medicine going to ultimately reverse the evolution of the human species? Will we eventually reach a plateau where our physical bodies have declined to the point that only our technology keeps us alive? And if that's not a valid question because if involves so much guesswork about the future, here's my basic question: are we inhibiting our evolution by superficially covering our flaws?

Biology news on Phys.org

Well for starters, there's no such thing as 'de-evolution' or 'backwards-evolution'. Evolution is a one way street and that's forward.

Your post leads me to assume you think that evolution means 'naturally better in all ways'. This isn't exactly true:

Evolution is the change in the inherited traits of a population of organisms through successive generations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

Now then to address your question from my opinion I would look at advancements in technology and medicine as a possible cause for further evolution. We live longer and with less problems(more comfortably) than our ancestors had.

It doesn't matter if a blind/deaf man 10,000 years ago wouldn't have mated limiting the possibility of him passing on his genes. If we can fix peoples vision and hearing at somepoint then there probably will not be any reason to select against those genes and they will be passed along. Is this good or bad? Mostly good... as I said comparing our lives to our ancestors this is clear. If however we suddenly got sent back to the stoneage it may be bad... but I'm 100% sure it wouldn't be the end of humans. We would probably go back to selecting against that blind/deaf man and their genes would be shoved to the sideline again.

1. What is "de-evolution"?

De-evolution is a term used to describe the idea that humans are becoming less intelligent or less advanced as a result of technological and medical advancements. It suggests that our reliance on technology and medicine is causing us to lose certain skills or abilities that were once essential for survival.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support the idea of de-evolution?

No, there is currently no scientific evidence to support the concept of de-evolution. In fact, the opposite is true - human intelligence has been steadily increasing over time and our advancements in technology and medicine have allowed us to thrive as a species.

3. Are there any potential negative effects of our reliance on technology and medicine?

While there may be some negative consequences of our dependence on technology and medicine, such as the potential for addiction or the loss of certain skills, overall these advancements have greatly improved our quality of life and extended our lifespan.

4. Can evolution be reversed or undone?

No, evolution is a natural process that occurs over long periods of time through genetic changes and adaptations. It cannot be reversed or undone, and our advancements in technology and medicine do not change this natural process.

5. Is it possible for humans to de-evolve in the future?

As mentioned earlier, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea of de-evolution. Additionally, there is no reason to believe that our advancements in technology and medicine will cause us to become less intelligent or less advanced in the future. In fact, our continued scientific and technological progress suggests that we will only continue to evolve and improve as a species.