Gear basics - changing axis of rotation

In summary, bevel gears, helical gears, worm gears, spiral-bevel gears, and hypoid gears can all be used at various angles to achieve rotation between two gears. However, their shafts must be in the same plane for bevel gears, parallel planes for helical and worm gears, and their restrictions may vary for spiral-bevel and hypoid gears.
daring
hi everyone! I'm sorry if this seems like a really easy question, but...

Suppose I have a device in which manually rotating gear A clockwise causes gear B to rotate clockwise. If gear A and gear B are at a weird angle to each other (say 35 degrees), what sort of intermediate parts could I use to achieve this rotation?

I've been reading about bevel gears and helical gears, but it seems like bevel gears are only used to change the axis of rotation by 90 degrees? I could be mistaken. Any thoughts on possible configurations are appreciated! Especially well-known configurations for this kind of thing.

(sorry if this seems really noobish! I'm actually a comp sci student with this newfound interest in mechanical engineering as of this summer.)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just have the driven gear turned around facing the opposite direction.

The axes don't have to be at 90 degrees, that's just probably the most common configuration.

Lsos said:
The axes don't have to be at 90 degrees, that's just probably the most common configuration.

oh cool! so bevel gears specifically can be used at random angles like 35? or other types?

daring said:
oh cool! so bevel gears specifically can be used at random angles like 35? or other types?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bevel_gear" :

Beve_gear_schematic.png

Last edited by a moderator:
what about helical gears?

leborowski said:
what about helical gears?

What about them?

can they be used at random angles? 120 degrees?

I believe that Helical can only be used at angles similar to that of "Spur gears" (the one most commonly seen by younger kids, the basic one). Basically they can be parallel-axis or cross-axis.

parallel:
cross:

Ryumast3r said:
I believe that Helical can only be used at angles similar to that of "Spur gears" (the one most commonly seen by younger kids, the basic one). Basically they can be parallel-axis or cross-axis.

parallel:
cross:

I don't believe that is true. I cannot think of an exmple though. But if they work at 0 (or 180, whatever you choose to call it) and 90 I cannot believe they cannot work anywhere in between.

Averagesupernova said:
I don't believe that is true. I cannot think of an exmple though. But if they work at 0 (or 180, whatever you choose to call it) and 90 I cannot believe they cannot work anywhere in between.

Only parallel or cross axis. They cannot be used at any angle in between because they sum of their helix angles is always 90 degrees. I probably explained that wrong but it's something along those lines...it just has to do with the geometry.

Gear1.jpg

Gear2.jpg

Gear3.jpg

The first two pix are of an oil pump gear and the camshaft that drives it. Notice that the teeth are not cut at the same angle. The last pic is of 2 identical oil pump gears meshed. They are not meshed at 90 degrees although it looks like it. It is difficult to get a pic that shows this. So, are you saying that although they mesh, and they are meshing at an angle that is niether 90 degree cross or parallel, there is some reason why one would not drive the other?

I don't know. But, I want to take back what I said in post #11. I still don't think you can set them different than parallel or 90 degrees, but I just don't fully understand why (and indeed, if)...and don't have time to figure it out right now.

Helical gear can be used at any shaft angle.

From http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Drive/Helical_Gears.html" :

[PLAIN]http://www.roymech.co.uk/images9/gear_helical_3.gif

Bevel gears can be used at through a range of angles, but their shafts must be in the same plane. Helical gears can also be used through a range of angles, but the plane their shafts can be rotated in must be parallel planes. Worm gears can also be designed for use in a range of angles, their shaft alignments are restricted similarly to helical gears. There are also spiral-bevel gears (a combination of bevel and helical) and hypoid gears that can be used in a range of angles, their shaft alignments are not as restricted as for other types of gearing.

1. What is the axis of rotation in a gear?

The axis of rotation in a gear is an imaginary line around which the gear rotates. It is also known as the pitch circle or the centerline of the gear.

2. Can the axis of rotation be changed in a gear?

Yes, the axis of rotation in a gear can be changed by altering the position of the gear within the system or by using additional gears to change the direction of rotation.

3. How does changing the axis of rotation affect the gear ratio?

Changing the axis of rotation can affect the gear ratio in a few ways. If the axis is moved closer to the center of the gear, the gear ratio will decrease. If the axis is moved further from the center, the gear ratio will increase.

4. What are some common methods for changing the axis of rotation in gears?

Some common methods for changing the axis of rotation in gears include using idler gears, bevel gears, and worm gears. These gears can change the direction of rotation and alter the axis of rotation in the gear system.

5. How can changing the axis of rotation impact the efficiency of a gear system?

Changing the axis of rotation can impact the efficiency of a gear system by introducing more friction and wear on the gears. Additionally, if the axis is not properly aligned, it can cause misalignment and decrease the overall efficiency of the system.