Simple Kinematics Question: Equation of Motion?

In summary, the equation of motion states that the car will travel the same distance (Xf) regardless of how fast it is going. However, the equation also states that the car will accelerate (V0) for a certain amount of time, and then maintain that speed. After that time has passed, the car will gradually decelerate back down to its original speed.
GladScientist
Hi everyone. I'm new here, and I would like some help understanding the equation of motion. It's a simple high school homework question, so I think you guys should be able to help me out here. I'm not sure if I'll be able to properly fit the question into the template, because I know how to answer the actual question... I'm just confused as to how or why it works the way it does.

Homework Statement

A car is to travel along the X direction only. The car begins its journey at X=5m. The car then travels with a constant velocity of 3m/s for a time of 8 seconds. It is at this time the driver decides to increase the velocity and accelerates to 2m/sec/sec for 3 seconds.

I need to find the position from X=0.

Homework Equations

So what I did is simply plug in the equation of motion.

Xf=X0+V0t+1/2at^2

So that gives me:

Xf=5m+3m/s(11s)+1/2(2m/s^2)(3s^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

If I simply plug in the numbers, I get X=41m. But I'm pretty sure this is wrong. I think that it's fairly clear that I'm using the equation of motion wrong, because logically, it doesn't make sense.

So let's start by looking at the first part of the equation, Xf=X0+V0t.

Okay, that part makes sense. The final position is where you started plus how far you went.

But acceleration is where I don't quite catch on. First of all, shouldn't the amount of time spent accelerating be distributed to the velocity, since time spent accelerating is also time spent traveling at the original velocity? In other words, when the car accelerates to 2m/sec/sec, that time is also spent traveling at the original velocity, just with the acceleration included. So why isn't the original velocity added to the acceleration in the equation of motion?

And second, I don't understand the acceleration part of the equation itself. In this particular problem, the car accelerates at 2m/sec/sec for 3 seconds. So that means that it's speed should increase by 2, then 4, then 6, for a total of 12 extra meters. But the equation of motion's formula is 1/2(2m/s^2)(3s^2), which just gives me 3 meters.

So clearly, I either have something wrong, or I'm misunderstanding how the equation of motion is supposed to work. Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first part of the motion is uniform. Determine how far the car reaches during the first 8 s. You can apply the equation for motion with constant acceleration in the last 3 s.

ehild

Thanks but I still don't get why the formula for acceleration is 1/2at^2? It doesn't match up with what the numbers should logically be.

It is Xf=X0+V0t+1/2at^2, but X0 is the position of the car when it starts to accelerate and V0 is the velocity at the same time.

ehild

Xf=X0+V0t+1/2at^2

See here the part V0t is the distance covered by the car due to its initial velocity before acceleration starts and 1/2at^2 is the distance covered while uniform acceleration.

For the above question x=5+33+9=47m and x0+47 = 5 + 47 = 52 m

ehild said:
It is Xf=X0+V0t+1/2at^2, but X0 is the position of the car when it starts to accelerate and V0 is the velocity at the same time.

ehild

But how can it start accelerating at X0 when it doesn't accelerate (in the word problem) until after it's finished 8 seconds of traveling at the base velocity?

Please excuse me if I'm making myself look like an idiot, keep in mind that I'm very new to the mathematical aspects of physics.

This is not the same X0 as the position at the beginning of the motion.
Tell me please what is the position of the car after 8 s? x(8)=?

ehild

I get it, thanks guys.

What is the Equation of Motion?

The equation of motion is a mathematical representation of the relationship between an object's position, velocity, and acceleration over time. It is commonly written as s = ut + 1/2at^2, where s is the displacement, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

What are the three equations of motion?

The three equations of motion are derived from the equation of motion and describe the relationships between an object's position, velocity, and acceleration. They are:

1. v = u + at, where v is the final velocity
  2. s = (u + v)t/2, where s is the average displacement
  3. v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where v is the final velocity and s is the displacement

How do you use the equations of motion to solve problems?

To solve a problem using the equations of motion, you first need to identify the known variables and the unknown variable. Then, choose the appropriate equation based on the information given and rearrange it to solve for the unknown variable. Finally, plug in the known values and calculate the solution.

What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length of the path an object has traveled, while displacement is the straight-line distance between an object's initial and final positions. Distance is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude, while displacement is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity is the rate at which an object is changing its position. Speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity. Velocity takes into account the direction of an object's motion, while speed does not.