Is an analogus function useful for proving sequence monotonicity?

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for determining the increase or decrease of a sequence and the use of an analogous function. The use of mathematical induction and graphical methods are also mentioned as alternatives. The conversation concludes with one person finding success in using Differential Calculus to analyze the sequence.
DivGradCurl
Folks,

This is the solution I have for a problem in my textbook regarding sequences. I just need to know whether I have the right idea in mind.

Thank you very much!

We can use an analogus function to show that the sequence given by

[tex] a_{n+1} = \sqrt{2+a_n} \quad a_1 = \sqrt{2} [/tex]

is increasing. Here it goes

[tex] y = \sqrt{2+x} = \left( 2+x \right) ^{\frac{1}{2}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2+x}}>0 \Longrightarrow a_{n+1}>a_n [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You'd have to prove not that the function itself is increasing but that the nth iterate of x is less than the n+1st iterate of x. IF f is increasing then x<f(x) will to the job, I think, because then you could take f of both sides n times to get f^n(x)<f^n+1(x).

a_n=f^n(x).

Ok I gave it some thought and I really can't give you a definitive answer but I can ask you why you think that your analogous function is analogous? The question posed in the book will have a_infinity = 2 and in fact the function converges to the function y^2 - y - 2 = 0, whereas y = sqrt(2+x) goes well beyond 2. It just doesn't add up too well to me. I'll delete this if someone gives a better response (or maybe my incorrectness will compell someone to answer correctly)

Guys,

I've just found out it is better to use mathematical induction or graphical methods instead. Thanks for the help.

I've used Differential Calculus to find out when does it increase or decrease a sequence with an anologous function, and then just check for n>= 1 values. I see no problem using this method as long as you understand what you're doing.

Oh... really? That's good.

Thank you very much!

1. Can I use any analogus function to show that a sequence is increasing or decreasing?

No, you cannot use any analogus function to show that a sequence is increasing or decreasing. The analogus function used must have a similar pattern of increase or decrease to the sequence in order to accurately represent it.

2. How do I determine if an analogus function is suitable for showing the increase or decrease of a sequence?

You can determine if an analogus function is suitable for showing the increase or decrease of a sequence by comparing the general shape and trend of the function to the sequence. If they have a similar pattern of increase or decrease, then the function may be suitable.

3. Can I use a linear function to show that a sequence is increasing or decreasing?

Yes, you can use a linear function to show that a sequence is increasing or decreasing. A linear function, such as y = mx + b, can accurately represent a sequence that has a constant rate of increase or decrease.

4. What other types of functions can I use to show the increase or decrease of a sequence?

You can also use exponential, logarithmic, quadratic, and other types of functions to show the increase or decrease of a sequence. The choice of function will depend on the specific pattern and trend of the sequence.

5. Is using an analogus function the only way to show that a sequence is increasing or decreasing?

No, using an analogus function is not the only way to show that a sequence is increasing or decreasing. You can also analyze the values of the sequence and look for patterns or trends, or use other mathematical techniques such as derivatives or limits.