Group action on cosets of subgroups in non-abelian groups

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of a non-abelian finite group G, its non-normal proper subgroup S of index v >= 2, and the right-multiplication action on the set of v right cosets of S in G. The question is raised about the necessary conditions for the map \phi: G --> Sym(v) to be surjective, with the example of v = 3 given. However, the example of the dihedral group of order 8 and its subgroup S={1,b} shows that no surjection G--> Sym(v) can exist. There is also a question about why \phi_g is an element of Sym(v).
nbruneel
This is not a homework question, just a general question.

Let G be a non-abelian finite group, S < G a non-normal proper subgroup of index v >= 2, and G/S the set of v right cosets S_1 = S, S_2, ..., S_v, of S in G.

We know there is a naturally defined right-multiplication action G x G/S --> G/S defined by (g,S_i) |--> (S_i)g, and this action is a permutation action on G/S. So for any element g in G, the map \phi_g : G/S --> G/S defined by \phi_g(S_i) = (S_i)g is an element of Sym(v).

If \phi: G --> Sym(v) is the map which sends each g in G to \phi(g), and S < G is a proper subgroup, then what are the conditions for this map to be necessarily surjective? It seems that for v = 3, no additional conditions are required beyond non-normality of the subgroup S. But is this necessarily true for v >= 4?

Many thanks for any helpful comments or suggestions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take G the dihedral group of order 8. Let S={1,b} (so the identity, and one reflection). Then S has index 4. Thus Sym(v) has 24 elements. So, since Sym(v) has more elements then G, no surjection G--> Sym(v) can exist...

I want to ask a question first why \phi_g is an element of Sym(v)?why should there is a S_j equals to S_i*g?

thanks

1. What is a group action?

A group action is a mathematical concept where a group of elements operates on a set of objects, typically changing the position or state of the objects. This operation must follow certain rules, such as being associative and having an identity element.

2. What are cosets of subgroups?

Cosets of subgroups are subsets of a group that are formed by multiplying a specific subgroup by all the elements of the larger group. They can be seen as "copies" of the subgroup within the larger group.

3. How does a group act on cosets of subgroups in a non-abelian group?

In a non-abelian group, the action of the group on cosets of subgroups is not necessarily commutative. This means that the order in which the group elements are multiplied matters, and the resulting coset may be different depending on the order of multiplication.

4. What is the significance of studying group action on cosets of subgroups in non-abelian groups?

Studying group action on cosets of subgroups in non-abelian groups helps us understand the structure and behavior of these groups. It also allows us to classify and identify different types of groups based on their actions on cosets.

5. Can you give an example of a non-abelian group action on cosets of subgroups?

One example of a non-abelian group action on cosets of subgroups is the conjugation action in the symmetric group Sn. In this group, the elements are permutations of n objects, and the subgroup consists of all the possible cycles of length n. The action of the group on cosets of this subgroup results in a new permutation that is a conjugate of the original permutation.