Differential Equation - Explicit 2-Parameter family of solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an explicit two-parameter family of solutions for a given equation. The attempt at a solution involves expanding and termwise integration. One participant points out a mistake in their approach and suggests a simplification. The conversation concludes with a question about whether or not expanding the integration is necessary.
jegues

Homework Statement

Find an explicit two-parameter family of solutions for,

[tex]\frac{1}{3}y^{''} = 2x\sqrt[3]{(y^{'})^{2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See figure attached for my attempt at the solution.

I've gotten to the point where I could simply expand out and do termwise integration to obtain my answer but we usually aren't required to anything messy like that in questions like this.

This leads me to think that I've done something wrong, or taken the wrong approach.

Does anyone see any problems/other approaches I should take?

Attachments

• M2F09Q5.jpg
    M2F09Q5.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 450
Physics news on Phys.org
hi jegues! :wink:
jegues said:
I've gotten to the point where I could simply expand out and do termwise integration to obtain my answer but we usually aren't required to anything messy like that in questions like this.

This leads me to think that I've done something wrong, or taken the wrong approach.

looks ok to me …

except you've misread your own handwriting :redface: … it's not 6x3, it's 6x :wink:

(and you could have simplified it slightly at the end by changing C/3 to C/2 … C is a dummy constant)

tiny-tim said:
hi jegues! :wink:

looks ok to me …

except you've misread your own handwriting :redface: … it's not 6x3, it's 6x :wink:

(and you could have simplified it slightly at the end by changing C/3 to C/2 … C is a dummy constant)

After fixing my mistake, I'm stuck with the integration,

[tex]\int (x^{2} + \frac{C}{3})^{3}dx[/tex]

Am I forced to expand it out?

i think so :smile:

(but change C/3 to C)

tiny-tim said:
i think so :smile:

(but change C/3 to C)

Okay thanks, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't do more work than required.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves one or more independent variables, and the goal is to find the function that satisfies the equation.

2. What does it mean for a solution to be explicit?

An explicit solution is one in which the dependent variable can be directly expressed in terms of the independent variable. In other words, it is a solution that does not contain any derivatives or integrals.

3. What is a 2-parameter family of solutions?

A 2-parameter family of solutions is a set of solutions to a differential equation that depend on two arbitrary constants. These constants can take on any value, and each combination of values will result in a different solution.

4. How do we find the explicit 2-parameter family of solutions to a differential equation?

To find the explicit 2-parameter family of solutions, we first need to solve the differential equation by separating variables, using an integrating factor, or any other appropriate method. Then, we introduce two arbitrary constants into the solution and solve for them using initial conditions or boundary conditions.

5. Can a differential equation have more than one explicit 2-parameter family of solutions?

Yes, a differential equation can have multiple explicit 2-parameter families of solutions. This is because there are infinite combinations of values for the two arbitrary constants that can result in different solutions. Each family of solutions may also have a different form or behavior.