Friction on Ice: Understanding Coefficient of Friction

• Thread starter re1s
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary: For those, the likely explanation is simply that ice is smooth.In summary, the coefficient of friction on ice is low because of the crystal structure of the ice and how it behaves at the surface. A layer of water present on ice makes it slippery even when standing still. However, this explanation is insufficient for some situations and a better explanation may be that ice is slippery because it is smooth.
re1s
Hi I was wondering if anyone could point me towards some resources (I've looked a lot online!), or give me some guidance on this subject.

Just considering ice for simplicity:

The low friction on ice is due to a layer of water created by the ice melting due to friction/pressure. Surely these will change a lot due to the weight and velocity, however some online resources quote a coefficient of friction!

Is friction on ice approximately proportional to the normal reaction force, or will the factors I mentioned effect this a significant amount?

Thanks ( and hi everyone :) !)

Engineering news on Phys.org
its not true that the low coefficient is because the ice melts.

the coefficient is low because of the crystal structure of the ice and how it behaves at the surface

A quick Google of "why is ice slippery" returns loads of results. One of the best I noted was this one:

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/8-30-2004-58620.asp

Too much to quote so I think it's best you read the whole thing.

Seems fairly simple.

Curl, do you have something to back that up? Everything I just read points more to re1s' explanation (with a few tweaks).

From the above:
Ice is slippery not because it’s smooth but because its melting point drops when pressure is increased.

Let’s see what happens when we bring a sled or skate. On skates, we bring the whole weight of our body to bear down on a very small area, of but a few square millimeters. Due to this the skater exerts tremendous pressure on the ice. Under strong pressure, ice melts at a lower temperature.

jarednjames said:
Curl, do you have something to back that up? Everything I just read points more to re1s' explanation (with a few tweaks).

From the above:

Ice is slippery not because it’s smooth but because its melting point drops when pressure is increased.

Let’s see what happens when we bring a sled or skate. On skates, we bring the whole weight of our body to bear down on a very small area, of but a few square millimeters. Due to this the skater exerts tremendous pressure on the ice. Under strong pressure, ice melts at a lower temperature.
Clearly, that explanation may work for some things but can't possibly work for others. While the pressure on an ice skate blade could be 1000 psi, the pressure under a toboggan would be a good two orders of magnitude lower.

So that explanation is insufficient because it doesn't deal with all the scenarios we deal with on an everyday basis. Even a car doesn't put all that much pressure under its tires (35 psi). For those, the likely explanation is simply that ice is smooth.

Thanks guys.

Yeah that was one of the resources I found - however my my question is this:

Surely the frictional coefficient would change when applying a greater force? Meaning it's not a linear function like Ff = -u * Fn. A greater normal force should also mean greater pressure, which means lower melting point and thus a lower frictional coefficient?

u = u(Fn), and won't be constant?

So either ice is slippy because it is smooth, or because it has a layer of water?

russ_watters said:
Clearly, that explanation may work for some things but can't possibly work for others. While the pressure on an ice skate blade could be 1000 psi, the pressure under a toboggan would be a good two orders of magnitude lower.

So that explanation is insufficient because it doesn't deal with all the scenarios we deal with on an everyday basis. Even a car doesn't put all that much pressure under its tires (35 psi). For those, the likely explanation is simply that ice is smooth.

Sorry, missed a bit I thought was covered there.

http://lptms.u-psud.fr/membres/trizac/Ens/L3FIP/Ice.pdf

Within that PDF, it discusses a layer of water present on ice and the causes of "ice being slippery" even when standing still. A good read.

Consider this an elaboration.
its not true that the low coefficient is because the ice melts.

the coefficient is low because of the crystal structure of the ice and how it behaves at the surface

Unless anyone can provide sources otherwise, I'm taking this as the reason for the 'slipperiness' and I see no reason not to. Without meaning to sound nasty, my statement regarding sources stands (heck it's your guidelines), especially seeing as it doesn't appear as straight forward as most would think.

russ_watters said:

If there is any relative motion, the work done be the friction force generates heat which produces a thin film of water. That is the main issue with car tires, where the engine or brakes are powerful enough to start the slipping. The water film then reduces the dynamic coefficient of friction to almost zero and even if the tire pumps the water away, the next later of ice instantly melts because the tires are spinning.

The same probably applies to skis and toboggans, over most of the contact area behind the front part.

This probably explains why a very small amount of sand or grit gives a very big improvement in grip. The small amount of contact with the sand is enough to keep the tire rolling not slipping, which stops the water film being created, and most of the friction force to move the car is then the static or rolling friction on the ice.

What is friction?

Friction is the resistance force that occurs when two surfaces move against each other.

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of the force required to move one surface over another to the normal force pressing the two surfaces together.

Why is understanding the coefficient of friction important for ice?

Understanding the coefficient of friction for ice is important because ice is a common surface that is encountered in daily life, and having a good understanding of its frictional properties can help prevent accidents and improve efficiency in activities such as ice skating or driving on icy roads.

How does the coefficient of friction change on ice?

The coefficient of friction on ice changes depending on factors such as the temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities or surface roughness. In general, the coefficient of friction decreases as the temperature decreases, making ice more slippery and harder to walk or drive on.

How is the coefficient of friction on ice measured?

The coefficient of friction on ice can be measured using specialized equipment such as a tribometer or by conducting experiments where the force required to move an object on ice is measured and compared to the normal force applied to the object. It can also be estimated based on known properties of the materials in contact and the surface conditions.